Research Assistant (Bachelor’s Degree, Recent Graduates) (Various locations, ON, CA)
City : Ottawa
Category : Other
Industry : Banking/Financial
Employer : Bank of Canada
Research Assistant (Bachelor's Degree, Recent Graduates)
Take a central role
Each year, the Bank of Canada hires undergraduates as Research Assistants to support the important work undertaken at the Bank. The Bank offers the unique opportunity to work with leading-edge tools at the centre of Canada’s economic and financial system. Research Assistants are employed across the economic and financial research departments of the Bank, all of which contribute to the execution of the Bank’s core functions. This is a great opportunity to gain valuable work experience before pursuing your graduate studies.
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in an environment where we are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
Most Research Assistant positions are located at the Head Office in Ottawa. Positions could also be available in some of the regional offices across Canada.
Find out more about the next steps in our Recruitment process.
About the position
As a Research Assistant you will participate in several projects concurrently and will work in close collaboration with peers and senior staff. You will;
- Support researchers on economic and financial research projects by conducting data and statistical analysis
- Support economists and analysts in the development of policy recommendations within the Bank’s areas of responsibility, as well as supporting senior staff in preparing briefings, such as written analysis of relevant economic developments, for Governing Council
- Support projection and monitoring of economic developments as well as the execution, reporting, and risk management of the Bank’s activities in financial markets
- Adapting, designing, or developing applications, programs, tools and reports to aid in the economic analysis
- Estimate economic relationships using econometric techniques by simulating, evaluating, and adapting codes and models
- Collect, organize, manipulate and analyze economic and financial data. You will also be involved in the communication of such analysis of economic and financial data.
Note - Positions will be filled throughout the year, from November 2021 to August 2022 based on operational needs.
In addition, we will post this opportunity three times a year, in September, January and April. If you have already applied, you do not have to do so again, as your application will still be available.
For your candidacy to be considered, the completion date of your degree must be between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2022. A Bachelor’s degree in one of the following:
Economics/ Finance / Commerce/ Business Administration with Finance major / Commerce/ Business Administration with Economic major / Computer Science with Finance major or minor / Computer Science with Economic major or minor / Mathematics / Statistics
Analytical and technical skills
- Business computer skills (Microsoft office, etc.)
- Excellent analytical, research and problem-solving skills
- Experience in collecting, organizing and manipulating data
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to learning and self-development
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team, or independently
- Ability to organize work effectively
- Experience in modelling and programming with technical tools such as Matlab, Python, EViews, R, Stata, C/Fortran, ArcGIS, Bloomberg, Reuters, VBA, SQL, etc.
- Knowledge of econometrics and regressions, or microeconomic/macroeconomic principles; financial modelling; financial market issues and developments; financial data; financial theory and quantitative methods; trade support issues for financial markets; policy and regulatory issues related to financial systems.
All applicants must submit a completed online application including the following MANDATORY documents:
- A current curriculum vitae
- Cover letter (please tailor your cover letter to ensure you are describing why you are interested in working at the Bank, which core function interests you the most, and explain how this experience would help you further your career or research aspirations)
- Official or unofficial transcripts of your undergraduate academic record. Relevant courses you have attended must be clearly identified by their course titles.
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career.
- Salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $58,250 to $68,530 (job grade 13)
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (3 to 5% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (7% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
- You will work remotely from any location within Canada while the Bank operates under mandatory telework. Flexibility for remote work for the duration of the term may be granted.
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health and dental coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Option to join the indexed, defined-benefit pension plan after 24 consecutive months of service
For more information on key benefits, please visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers/working-here.
- Language requirement: English or French essential
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Be eligible to obtain Reliability or Secret
- There will be no relocation assistance provided
Vaccination: In response to the COVID-19 pandemic that was declared by the World Health Organization, the mandates issued by the federal government, and the direction provided by public health authorities, the Bank of Canada requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated prior to their start date. If you are the selected candidate, you will be asked to first attest your vaccination status at the reference stage and will then be required to submit proof of vaccination status or request accommodation for a legitimate medical, religious reason or other human rights-based grounds at the offer stage as part of the offer process. #LI-POST