Solidarity with the Revolutionary Movement in Iran – Women, Life, Freedom
Pride at Work Canada stands in solidarity with the brave women in Iran who are leading a revolutionary movement and fighting for their basic human rights and liberation. This movement has been sparked by the murder of 22-year-old Iranian-Kurdish woman, Mahsa Jina Amini, by Iran’s “morality police” after she was arrested for allegedly not wearing her hijab (head scarf) correctly.
Since the tragic death of Amini, brave protestors have been peacefully demonstrating to demand for the fall of the repressive regime of Iran, the Islamic Republic. This is a mass intersectional revolutionary movement that includes women, youth, LGBTQIA+ communities, ethnic and religious minority groups, and allies.
As part of the international queer and human rights network, we stand with all communities fighting against oppression, and for human rights, freedom, and dignity. We honor the unity, resistance, and courage of all women, girls, and people of Iran who continue to rightfully fight for human rights and freedom for all Iranians in the face of atrocities committed by the regime.
To the brave people of Iran, we are with you. Women, Life, Freedom.
The Staff Team of Pride at Work Canada
Please read below the actions individuals and organizations can take.
What can individuals do?
- Learn more about what is happening in Iran. Find ways to inform your smaller circles and talk about it in your communities.
- Recognize that the heinous actions of the Islamic Republic of Iran does not represent the Iranian and Muslim communities and culture.
- Repost from reliable sources on social media to help amplify the voices of Iranians like the Iranian Diaspora Collective who has an Media Advisory with facts and Instagram accounts list to follow.
- Sign current petitions:
– G7 Leaders: Expel Iran’s Diplomats / Demand that Political Prisoners Be Freed
– Woman, Life, Freedom’s Call to Action
- Please listen to the song “Baraye”, composed by Iranian artist Shervin Hajipour on YouTube or Spotify; this song highlights the reasons why Iranians are protesting. It became the anthem of this revolutionary movement.
- Donate to and support The Association of Families of Flight PS752 Victims.
- Donate to or volunteer for organizations who promote emergency travel such as Rainbow Railroad or Rainbow Refugees.
- Support 6Rang, an organization in Iran seeking to improve human rights conditions for LGBTQIA+ Iranians.
- Be supportive towards your Iranian colleagues and friends.
What can employers do?
- Consider your Iranian staff and promote inclusive employee assistance plan programs.
- Work with 2SLGBTQIA+ inclusive organizations that support refugees in finding employment like Jumpstart Refugee Talent.
- Join international business efforts that protect gender expression, gender identity and sexual orientation like the Partnership for Global LGBTIQ+ Equality.