Wastewater & Byproducts Operator – London, Ontario
City : London
Category : Manufacturing
Industry : Food/Packaging
Employer : Maple Leaf Foods
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein CompanyMaple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced, and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is embarking on one of the most exciting journeys in its history through the build and startup of a world-class, leading edge manufacturing facility producing premium, value added fresh poultry products. The new 640,000 square foot facility will call London, ON home and will employ over 1,600 employees as we ramp up operations over the next few years.
We are looking for equally enthusiastic people who want to join our team as we start to climb our own version of Everest. As with every great feat, the realities of this opportunity may come with some challenges and we are looking for people who have the commitment to working through these together. We believe that participation in this start-up requires great passion for our objectives, the flexibility to adapt to the needs of the environment, and a resilient spirit rooted in the desire to achieve winning results as a team. Together we believe we will do great things for our people, our consumers, and our communities.
If you think that this opportunity might be for you, we encourage you to read more details about this exciting role below.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do: Reporting to the Sustainability Manager, the Wastewater and Byproducts Operator is part of a team responsible for the operation and maintenance of the primary wastewater treatment plant. This includes equipment such as the lift station pumps, rotary screens, DAF system, sludge collection and chemical inventories. Additionally, this role will operate the byproduct collection systems which include feathers, blood, and other byproducts generated throughout the slaughtering process. These byproducts are collected in trailers and transported off site for rendering. This person has direct impact on the efficiency of our 24 hr/day, 5 day/wk operation and contributes daily to meeting municipal sewer bylaw requirements.
As a Wastewater & Byproducts Operator, you will:
- Operate, maintain, and inspect wastewater treatment facilities and undertake minor servicing of related equipment
- Follow departmental SOPs with respect to all maintenance, housekeeping, and operation of wastewater & related equipment
- Monitor, analyze and adjust process parameters
- Perform standard laboratory process testing and maintain accurate records and logs
- Participate on project teams and assist in the evaluation and implementation of technological improvements
- Assist in the delivery of planned preventative maintenance activities to meet approved levels of service for all assets
- Perform housekeeping, janitorial and other general maintenance duties
- Generate work request notifications for corrective repairs discovered during routine inspections
- Closely manage byproducts trailer levels and coordinate pickups with hauling vendors
- Monitor wastewater chemical inventories and coordinate deliveries
- Provide vacation coverage and additional support to Trailer Shunting, Lairage and live receiving operations as required
- Sweeping of yard around dock chock mechanisms as required
- Snow removal, salt and sand activities at all man door entrances and safety exits as required
- Lawn and yard work as required which may include lawn cutting, weed removal, parking lot sweep, garbage pickup, as needed
- Other work as assigned by management
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
- High School Diploma or better
- A valid Operator in Training (O.I.T) with some wastewater treatment experience considered an asset
- Strong mechanical aptitude, manual dexterity and computer literacy (Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook) and familiarity with SAP and SCADA technology
- Must have a current valid driver’s license. AZ or DZ license or related experience is an asset
- The candidate must successfully complete the shunt truck driving training course as provided by the company.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with a high degree of initiative and flexibility.
- Self-starter/motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision and strong organization skills
- A strong communicator, both written and oral, who is confident, and decisive
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position. Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible