Transmission Line Engineer
City : Edmonton
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Transmission Line Engineer - ( 220003YK )
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or designing challenging crossing spans over glaciers, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Our transmission group has an opportunity for a Transmission Line Engineer for any of our offices at British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario and Nova Scotia. Hybrid work model to work from home is possible.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Job requirement will include engineering and design services of power transmission line projects from conceptual design through construction.
- You will prepare engineering and design deliverables for transmission lines including conceptual design, basis and criteria, line layouts, structural configuration, loading analysis, structure design, conductor and overhead ground wire analysis and material selection
- You will be using PLS-CADD regularly for transmission line modeling, profiling, tower spotting and preparation of required design calculations, reports and drawings including plan & profile drawings, structure data sheets, bill of materials and stringing charts.
- You will model, analyze, design and optimize new or existing transmission structures using PLS-TOWER, PLS-POLE and other FE modeling programs.
- You will perform route alignment and line layout selection and studies.
- You will prepare technical reports, project scope, specifications and line construction documents including Issue for Tender (IFT) and Issue for Construction (IFC) packages
- You will be providing material quantity and estimates for transmission lines
- You will be providing engineering and technical support and reviews to field crews during construction including site supervision
- You will be participating in discussions with clients and contractors and coordinating with various disciplines until successful implementation of project.
- You will mentor and train EITs and junior designers.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proficient with PLS-CADD, PLS-POLE, PLS-TOWER
- Familiar with international and North American transmission line industry standards and guidelines such as IEC, IEEE, ASCE, Cigre, CSA and NESC.
- Experience developing design drawings for variety of transmission structure types
- Knowledge of transmission line materials (structures, conductor, OPGW, insulators, hardware accessories and fittings)
- Sound understanding of project management systems
- Professional Engineer registered with any Canadian Engineering Association, or the ability to obtain registration.
Additional capabilities beneficial for the role:
- Experience designing foundations for a variety of transmission structure types and geotechnical requirements
- Experience with thermal upgrading studies
- Experience using GIS mapping software packages
- Ability to perform line electrical studies (RI, EMF), interconnection studies, conductor selection and line loss analysis
- Experience designing HV underground cables
- Experience with line condition assessments
- Knowledge of Canadian utility standards and design practices
Education and Experience
- Structural, Civil, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Degree from a recognized university.
- Minimum 5 years of transmission line design and engineering experience within utilities, EPC or consulting organizations.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta-Medicine Hat, Canada-Ontario-London, Canada-Alberta-Fort McMurray, Canada-Saskatchewan-Saskatoon, Canada-Saskatchewan-Regina, Canada-Alberta-Lethbridge, Canada-Ontario-Toronto, Canada-Alberta-Calgary, Canada-Ontario-Markham, Canada-Ontario-Thunder Bay, Canada-Alberta-Edmonton, Canada-Ontario-North Bay, Canada-Ontario-Mississauga, Canada-Alberta-Red Deer
Organization : BC-1182 Energy-Canada West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Nov 17, 2022, 10:25:53 AM
Req ID: 220003YK
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans