Transmission Line Engineer
City : Calgary
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Transmission Line Engineer - ( 230003D8 )
As the demand for electricity is projected to increase with aging infrastructure in North America, access to reliable and secure power becomes increasingly critical. The opportunities and significance of your work will be plentiful — as is your potential at Stantec. Every day, we’re problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful.
Join the Integrated Design team to deliver innovation for the long run on some of the most important and interesting projects around the world. Our team works on a wide array of projects in areas including generation, transmission and distribution, waste water, oil and gas and mining. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized group to contribute to some of the most cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, push the boundaries of clean energy or grid modernization, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
In this position of a Transmission Line Engineer, you will have the opportunity to work as part of a team of engineers on multiple projects for a range of public and private sector clients in North America. This is suitable for a motivated, energetic individual who wants to challenge their abilities in a dynamic work environment.
Your Key Responsibilities
The selected candidate will be responsible for:
- Engineering and design services of power transmission line projects from conceptual design through construction.
- Prepare engineering and design deliverables for transmission lines including proposals, conceptual design, design basis and criteria, line layouts, structural configuration, structure design, conductor and overhead ground wire analysis and material selection.
- Use of PLS-CADD for transmission line modeling, profiling, structure spotting and preparation of required design calculations, reports and drawings including plan & profile drawings, structure data sheets, bill of materials and stringing charts.
- Perform route alignment and line layout selection and studies.
- Prepare technical reports, project scope, specifications and line construction documents including Issue for Tender (IFT) and Issue for Construction (IFC) packages.
- Provide material quantity and estimates for transmission lines.
- Provide engineering and technical support and reviews to field crews during construction including site supervision.
- Participate in discussions with clients and contractors and coordinating with various disciplines until successful implementation of project.
- Mentor and train EITs and junior designers.
- Compose and review technical reports and engineering studies.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proficient with PLS-CADD, PLS-POLE and complete skillsets in modeling transmission lines, preparing route alignments and plan and profiles.
- Thorough understanding and ability to independently develop weather loading criteria and clearances with appropriate tolerances, as well as analyzing PLS outputs.
- Familiar with international and North American transmission line industry standards and guidelines such as IEC, IEEE, ASCE, Cigre, CSA, NESC, RUS Bulletins and GO-95.
- Experience developing design drawings for a variety of transmission structure types.
- Knowledge of transmission line materials (structures, conductor, OPGW, insulators, hardware accessories and fittings) and construction process.
- Ability to communicate with survey and GIS personnel. Familiarity with interpreting survey data and incorporating it into PLS-CADD.
Additional capabilities beneficial for the role:
- Experience designing HV underground and submarine cables.
- Ability to perform line electrical studies for transmission lines such as insulation coordination study.
Education and Experience
- Electrical Engineering Degree from a recognized university.
- Professional Engineer registered, or the ability to obtain registration.
- Minimum 10 years of transmission line design and engineering experience in design of transmission lines and development of construction bid packages.
Typical office environment, working with computers and drawings for extended periods of time on a regular basis. Field work may include exposure to hazards including construction, weather, and industrial operations that may be experienced at infrastructure facilities.
Hybrid work model to work from home is possible.
Location – Chicago, Sacramento, Walnut Creek, Portland, Burnaby, Calgary.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.The experience will forever shape your future.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Organization : BC-1554 E&R BOU-CA Integrated Design
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Aug 18, 2023, 6:47:15 AM
Req ID: 230003D8
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans