Transmission Line Engineer
City : Markham
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Transmission Line Engineer - ( 230004UT )
Stantec’s Energy team is designing the solutions our world needs now. We’re a leader in the energy transition. We deliver iconic infrastructure projects including some of the world’s largest dams, large-scale renewable energy facilities and the most geographically challenging conventional energy facilities. We are pushing the boundaries of clean energy and grid modernization. We’re releasing the power of hydrogen and capturing and storing carbon.
We’ve built a flexible work environment focused on your career goals and aspirations. You’ll find yourself working with leaders in power delivery, thermal generation, heavy industrial, and renewable energy at one of the world’s top 10 design firms.
Join a team that leaves you #FeelingEnergized and make an impact that will last generations.
Our Transmission group is looking for experienced Transmission Line Engineers to be aligned with a Stantec office anywhere in North America.
As an experienced transmission line engineer, you'll be at the heart of the action delivering power solutions for our clients. We are looking for someone with the potential to be a future leader in our group. If you're looking to expand your project skills and take on leadership and mentorship opportunities—this is the role for you.
Stantec operates a hybrid work model, so you can work flexibly from the office, field, and home. Rather than mandating days in-office, Stantec empowers our teams to balance the needs of the individual, the team, the client and the environment. Our people design, lead, mentor, grow, and pursue new opportunities to deliver impactful power projects, wherever they are.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Engineer power transmission line projects from conceptual design through construction.
- Prepare engineering and design deliverables for transmission lines including conceptual design, basis and criteria, line layouts, structural configuration, loading analysis, structure design, conductor and overhead ground wire analysis and material selection.
- Use PLS-CADD regularly for transmission line modeling, profiling, structure spotting and preparation of required design calculations, reports and drawings including plan & profile drawings, structure data sheets, bill of materials and stringing charts.
- Model, analyze, design and optimize new or existing transmission structures using PLS-TOWER, PLS-POLE and other FE modeling programs.
- Perform route alignment and line layout selection and studies.
- Prepare technical reports, project scope, specifications and line construction documents including Issue for Tender (IFT) and Issue for Construction (IFC) packages.
- Provide material quantity and estimates for transmission lines.
- Provide engineering and technical support and reviews to field crews during construction including site supervision.
- Participate in discussions with clients and contractors and coordinating with various disciplines until successful implementation of project.
- Contribute to winning strategies, successful project execution and be involved at a hands-on level in key pursuits.
- Increase visibility of Stantec by sharing our knowledge and innovation story through key client engagements to enhance our reputation and drive revenue.
- Contribute to the maintenance and monitoring of the opportunity pipeline to optimize business development plans and employee utilization rates.
- Ensure local marketplace reputation through established relationships, attending industry events and social media sharing.
- Inspire others through your passion for Power Delivery.
- Model Stantec’s values and help others align with our purpose of designing with community in mind.
- Support, guide and counsel on technical topics as a subject matter expert.
- Advise, advocate and be an ally for junior colleagues and EITs to help them reach their potential.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proficient with PLS-CADD, PLS-POLE, PLS-TOWER.
- Familiar with international and North American transmission line industry standards and guidelines such as IEC, IEEE, ASCE, Cigre, CSA and NESC.
- Experience developing design drawings for variety of transmission structure types
- Knowledge of transmission line materials (structures, conductor, OPGW, insulators, hardware accessories and fittings).
- Sound understanding of project management systems.
- Additional capabilities beneficial for the role:
- Experience designing and assessment of foundations for transmission line structures.
- Experience designing HV underground and submarine cables.
- Ability to perform line electrical studies for transmission lines such as insulation coordination study.
- Experience using GIS mapping software packages.
- Knowledge of Canadian utility standards and design practices.
Education and Experience
- Structural, Civil, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering Degree from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Professional Engineer (P.Eng or PE) registered with any North American Engineering Association
- Minimum 10 years of transmission line design and engineering experience within utilities, EPC and/or consulting organizations.
Typical office environment working with computers; Stantec offers a flexible work environment (a hybrid model of working in the office and at home).
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
We would like to thank all candidates that apply; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Pay transparency laws require employers to provide the following information for positions that may be in the following jurisdiction(s):
- $87,800 - $131,800 Min/Max Pay Range for postings located in PEI
- $103,500 - $155,200 Min/Max Pay Range for postings located in BC
The final agreed upon compensation is based on individual education, qualifications, experience, and work location. At Stantec certain roles are bonus eligible.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Other Locations : Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver, Canada-Nova Scotia-Halifax, Canada-Yukon-Whitehorse, Canada-Ontario-London, Canada-Northwest Territories-Yellowknife, Canada-Saskatchewan-Saskatoon, Canada-Saskatchewan-Regina, Canada-Manitoba-Winnipeg, Canada-Nova Scotia-Dartmouth, Canada-Prince Edward Island-Charlottetown, Canada-Quebec-Chicoutimi, Canada-Quebec-Montréal, Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador-St. John's, Canada-New Brunswick-Fredericton, Canada-Nunavut-Iqaluit, Canada-Ontario-Markham, Canada-Ontario-Ottawa, Canada-Alberta-Edmonton, Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby, Canada-Ontario-Mississauga
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1560 Energy-CA Management
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Dec 5, 2023, 1:37:14 PM
Req ID: 230004UT
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans