City : Victoria
Category : Part-time Hourly
Industry : Nursing
Employer : Homewood Health Inc.
Make a difference in a growing, innovative mental health organization and centre of excellence in people-centered care. Work with supportive colleagues who are passionate about improving lives and champions for quality and continuous learning.
We have an immediate, rewarding career opportunity for a Support Worker to join our great team at Ravensview, part of Homewood Health, the national leader in mental health and addictions treatment in Canada.
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits and RRSP-matching program
- Free staff parking
- Onsite dining room with gourmet meals prepared by our Red-Seal Chef and talented team
- Onsite training including nationally-recognized CARES Program, first aid and the opportunity to develop knowledge of mental health and addictions care in our Ravensview Monthly Grand Rounds Education Series
- Access to professionally-designed fitness facility, serene outdoor spaces for walking and running, and direct access to John Dean Park
Homewood Ravensview is a private 75-bed mental health, trauma and addiction facility offering evidence-based, medically-led, inpatient services for first responders, military, veterans, executives & professionals, adults, and young adults. Located in North Saanich on 28 acres of forested hillside, Homewood Ravensview offers clients a comfortable and safe environment featuring serene ocean views from spacious rooms, welcoming common areas and a world-class team of physicians, psychiatrists, counsellors and 24-hour nursing professionals.
As a Support Worker at Homewood Ravensview, you will be an integral part of a collaborative interdisciplinary team focused on delivering seamless services and programs to our clients and customers. You’ll participate in the provision of patient-focused treatment, rehabilitation and support for persons with mental illness and/or addiction disorders, promoting a safe and healthy environment that instills a sense of dignity and self-respect. You will also escort patients to off-site programs, appointments and other planned events.
This is a casual position.
What you’ll be doing:
- Provide care for patients according to the care plan, observe and report unsafe conditions and behavioral, physical, and/or cognitive changes
- Perform delegated tasks according to training and procedures
- Complete and maintain related records and documentation such as communication books and progress reports
- Respond safely to resolve crisis situations and non-judgmentally to problematic behaviour.
- Help develop and implement service plans and be a strong advocate for the patient
- Act in a manner that respects the customs, individuality, values and spiritual beliefs of the patient
- Ensure the safety of patients, staff and visitors by maintaining knowledge and adherence to infection control, emergency response and established policies and procedures
- Contribute to maintaining a clean and orderly work environment and comply with infection control practices
- Escalate medical emergencies to supervisor or emergency medical services as appropriate
- Identify and participate in the elimination of hazards in the work environment
- Complete incident / accident reports and occupational health and safety reports as required
What we're looking for:
- Certificate in Community Social Services- Mental Health and Addictions Worker, a graduate of a Health Care
Assistant program, or recognized Health Care worker educational program such as Community Health Worker Program, plus two (2) years’ relevant experience
- Current First Aid/CPR Certification for Health Care Providers (Level 1 or greater)
- Knowledge of substance misuse and of problems encountered by chemically dependent individuals
- Awareness of community, social and health resources
- Basic understanding of behavior management
- Knowledge of mental health issues and treatment
- Willingness to demonstrate and assist patient with activities of daily living
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with patients
- Strong observations skills
- Ability to deal effectively with conflict situations, manage aggressive behaviour and use non-violent crisis intervention and behavioural management techniques
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our patients, staff and community from COVID-19, and as required by BC Health Authorities, subject to any accommodation required by applicable human rights legislation, Homewood Ravensview requires that all staff have received all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada.
Homewood Ravensview acknowledges with respect the WSÁNEĆ people on whose territory it operates and recognizes that their historical relationship with the land continues to this day.
Why work with us
Homewood Health is Canada’s largest and leading service provider for medically focused, evidence-based treatment of mental health and addiction disorders. Our organizational culture values service excellence, integrity, collaboration and innovation. Our people make a difference!
As an equal opportunity employer, Homewood Health is committed to employment accessibility, diversity, equity and inclusion. For this reason, we encourage applications from members of equity-seeking groups including women, racialized and indigenous communities, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
Join us at Homewood Health™ and be part of a diverse team helping Canadians live healthier, more productive and fulfilling lives.