City : VANCOUVER
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Structural Engineer - ( 230004GB )
Stantec Buildings is on a mission to become the world’s leading integrated design practice. Our architects, engineers, interior designers, sustainability specialists, and technologists are passionate about the power of design. We take an innovative, collaborative approach to projects, sharing a common belief that sustainable design for the built environment can make the world a better place for future generations. Join us and design your place with Stantec.
Your role is to work with direct supervision and direction on tasks and smaller projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the guidance of a Senior Engineer. You will participate in the evaluation, recommendation, and specification for engineered systems or products for a project verifying compliance with applicable codes and engineering standards/practices.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Support project team in development of design documentation through the various project phases
- Assist in the evaluation and selection of building structural systems and materials
- Assist in the development of design through diagrams, sketches, analysis models, and other visual formats
- Perform calculations of building elements and well-defined structural systems using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software
- Utilize BIM technologies in development and integration of multi-dimensional models of building structural systems
- Assist with the development of job specific specifications
- Coordinate with other building disciplines (geotechnical, civil, architectural, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, etc.) to ensure compatibility with the design intent
- Review shop drawings and submittals, responds to RFIs, conducts occasional site reviews, prepares site observation reports, and other contract administration tasks
- Attend project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants
- Participate in value engineering and basic cost estimating
- Assist in the collaboration of design to achieve sustainability goals
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to participate and collaborate in a project team setting to engage in the creative and critical thought process
- Thorough understanding of structural engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others
- Understanding of all phases of engineering document production and its relationship between drawings and specifications
- Knowledge of building structural systems, contractor means and methods, materials, and industry standards
- Ability to develop structural design of gravity and lateral force resisting systems
- Knowledge and application of building codes, structural design standards
- Strong grasp on comprehensive building analysis using software such as: RAM Structural System, SAP2000, SAFE, and ETABS.
- Strong grasp in using Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD/Revit; experience with Newforma is a plus
- Recognize technical issues and communication or initiating appropriate corrective actions
- Ability to check own work for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Engineering
- Registered P. Eng. in a Canadian Province and/or PE in the US
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1156 Buildings-CA British Columbia
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Oct 30, 2023, 12:26:33 PM
Req ID: 230004GB
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans