City : STONEY CREEK
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Structural Engineer - ( 230004XS )
We are in an energy transition – sustainability and renewable attributes of our power generation sources are becoming increasingly important to society. Hydroelectric power plants play a crucial role in the mix because water is an inherently renewable “fuel”, and because waterpower serves to enable other renewable, but non-dispatchable, generation forms. Our work includes engineering for new greenfield waterpower facilities but more likely the redevelopment, refurbishment and renovation of existing, historic plants.
Our goal is to increase the role Stantec plays in this important sector through strengthening our capabilities, improving our effectiveness, growing business volume, and elevating the Stantec brand recognition.
Join a team that will support you in doing meaningful work according to your unique way of arriving at our goal.
Our hydro team is seeking a colleague who enjoys human interaction, can understand client needs and matches them with appropriate solutions.
Whom we seek, has experience in performing structural design including calculations and preparation of drawings, specifications and reports for hydraulic structures, hydroelectric facilities, marine structures, and other infrastructure associated with renewable energy projects. The right candidate will support the team in proposal development and client presentation. If you feel a passion for waterpower, please apply and convince us that you are the right person for our team.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Observe and personify safety and quality culture.
- With some guidance from our experienced hydro engineers but responsible for approach and execution, develop solutions to a variety of diverse engineering problems involving hydropower stations, spillway and dams.
- Perform field support during installation and construction through monitoring for quality control and consistency with the design specifications.
- As a strong team player, motivate team to work together efficiently and mitigate team conflict.
- Apply standard techniques, procedures and criteria to carry out engineering tasks.
- Ensure design compliance with relevant engineering standards and codes (i.e. CSA A23.1 to 23.4, S6, S16, National Building Code of Canada, Dam safety Guidelines by Canadian Dam Association etc.), as well as internal QA/QC procedures.
- Prepare preliminary and detailed designs and specifications for hydroelectric generating stations, spillways and concrete dams.
- Prepare calculations or designs using software packages.
- Oversee and guide the preparation of civil/structural drawings for construction.
- Prepare technical reports, memoranda and meeting minutes.
- Perform individually or as a team member within civil/structural discipline and on interdisciplinary projects.
- Perform interdisciplinary coordination with other engineering disciplines per project requirements.
- Support field team in construction services including site inspection and contract administration.
- Manage small projects independently.
- Manage time spent on design and project tasks to meet established project-specific workplans (cost, quality, timelines).
- Contribute to coaching and peer review of the team’s less experienced professionals.
- Assist in the preparation of proposals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Works collaboratively with Project Engineers and Project Managers to assist in planning, design, CAD drafting and preparation of drawings, bid documents, technical specifications, and capital cost estimates in connection with a variety of engineering projects.
- Communicates with other team members and become familiar with Stantec standards.
- Meet HSSE goals and targets and personal utilization requirements.
- Communicate at ease and habitually across the corporate hierarchy.
- Know and relate with relevant industry associations, academic institutions, and training programs.
- Write, coordinate or present publications and conference presentations on innovative or interesting aspects of their work.
- Know Stantec’s technology differentiators and be able to explain client benefits.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Field experience in site monitoring or contract admin for construction of hydropower and dam structures considered an asset.
- Solid technical background with proficiency in the inspection, condition assessment, analysis, and design of concrete and steel structures for hydropower and dam projects, such as:
+ Stability and structural analyses including Finite Element Analysis (FEA) of hydraulic structures.
+ Spillway both gated and ungated.
+ Powerhouse structures.
+ Hoist supporting structures.
+ Penstocks and associated structures (i.e., concrete anchor blocks, saddle supports etc.).
+ Repair design of the concrete hydraulic structures.
- Experience with Staad Pro and or SAP2000, MathCAD, MS office tools, Experience on other FEM software packages Ansys or Abaqus would be considered an asset.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English. Project management experience with demonstrated organizational and communication skills.
Education and Experience
- Structural engineer with a degree from an accredited university. Post graduate degree in a renewable energy application an asset.
- Professional designation obtained in at least one Canadian Province (P.Eng.).
- Minimum of 6 years of engineering design experience preferably within a consulting engineering environment with a minimum of 3 years in hydro and dams. More experience in hydropower would be an asset.
Position will primarily work in home office setting; may require office attendance in Hamilton, Ontario, and field work.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #FeelingEnergized
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Stoney Creek
Organization : BC-1265 Energy-CA Central
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Dec 8, 2023, 2:36:01 PM
Req ID: 230004XS
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans