Senior Structural Engineer
City : FREDERICTON
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Structural Engineer - ( 230004KC )
At our core, we’re a community. Together, we exercise creative thought and develop designs as unique as the people and projects we touch. Stantec is a dynamic, people-centered environment that has been recognized by Forbes as one of the world’s best employers. We operate with the strength of a $3B company, have the agility of a specialized team, and work on impactful projects around the world for clients in the Pulp & Paper, Mining, Food & Beverage, Power, and Manufacturing Sectors. At Stantec, you have the opportunity to work collaboratively across geographies and business lines, team up with talented thought leaders on projects around the world, and face challenges with teams outside your office boundaries.
At Stantec we take pride in our ability to offer a flexible workplace. As a senior member of the Fredericton, NB structural team, the ideal candidate will work in the Fredericton office with an option to choose a hybrid work model (working from the office a minimum of three days a week) if required.
As a well-rounded professional, the successful candidate will have an important role within Stantec. They will work with little supervision and direction, supported by a knowledgeable and experienced team, on projects ranging from small to large. This will consist of acting as lead structural engineer, leading and directing a team of engineers and technicians on projects or being part of a larger project design team responsible for structural designs and reviews. Smaller project efforts may be secured and executed solely by the candidate with support as required.
The candidate will also nurture existing or build new Stantec client relationships. This will include business development aspects such as client meetings, site visits to assess project scopes, proposal preparation, and representing Stantec’s interests in negotiations. A “seller-doer” mindset is important for this role.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for projects of small to large complexity and size.
- Develop and maintain client relationships.
- Participate in business development and proposal writing.
- Evaluate, select, specify, and engineer all structural components relating to various structural systems.
- Mentoring and professional development of other personnel as needed, while taking an active role in their own career development.
- Lead design teams in the delivery of preliminary and detailed structural analysis and designs for various heavy industrial and power generation structures (e.g., industrial buildings, equipment and piping supports, hydraulic structures), with opportunities in other sectors (bridges, transmission, distribution, substation structures, etc.).
- Direct the development of a design through engineering calculations, sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Utilize technologies in development of three-dimensional models of structural systems and provide markups for junior engineers / designers.
- Prepare and revise documentation in various structural phases including site plans, general equipment arrangements, conceptual and detailed structural developments, detailed component design, and construction level assembly information.
- Lead project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owners, contractors, subcontractors, and vendors.
- Lead or participate in client project meetings, value analysis, and basic cost estimating.
- Define and manage project scope, budget, resourcing, and schedule.
- Lead the preparation and coordination of project specifications with construction documents.
- Perform and oversee the performance of calculations using company standard software, and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Lead constructability reviews.
- Conduct quality assurance and quality control on own projects.
- Help identify and drive the development of new standards, specifications, design tools, and procedures for the structural group.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong communication, coordination, and time management skills.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently.
- Requisite knowledge and application of structural design codes (NBCC, CSA, ASCE, AISC, ACI, etc.).
- Extensive knowledge of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Experience directing and participating in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thinking.
- Strong knowledge of structural systems means and methods, materials, and industry standards. Experience with heavy industrial structures is highly valued. This includes structural steel design and reinforced concrete design, for both substructures and superstructures.
- Experienced in checking the work of others for accuracy and completeness and managing project budget and schedule.
- Thorough understanding of structural engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Good presentation and interview skills and experience.
- Experience with industry standard structural analysis software suites (STAAD.Pro, SAFI, SAP 2000, etc.)
- Knowledge of mathematical computational tools such as MathCAD and the ability to perform detailed structural calculations within this environment.
- Requires excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability and desire to create and foster client relationships.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Valid passport.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Engineering with professional engineering registration in Canada. Minimum of 10 years of experience in structural engineering with a focus on the industrial design.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #FeelingEngergized
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-New Brunswick-Fredericton
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1335 Energy-CA Atlantic
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Nov 6, 2023, 11:22:08 AM
Req ID: 230004KC
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans