Senior Software Developer
City : Ottawa
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
Achieve your ideal career at the forefront of innovation with Ciena. We know the importance of life outside of work, which is why our employees enjoy flexible paid time off and the freedom of working remotely. Ciena empowers our teams with competitive salaries and incentives, community volunteer programs, professional development resources, and support for our mental and physical health—all experienced within a diverse and inclusive culture. To put it simply, we’re a technology company driven by our humanity.
About the job
Waveserver software developers push the boundaries of what is possible in optical network solutions. Requirements for telecommunications networks are ever-changing, and our products need to stand up to meet these demands. We are looking for software developers who are looking to jump-start their career in a dynamic and exciting team environment. As a software developer on our team, you will be contributing to projects that play critical roles in our network solutions. You will help build upon our cutting-edge technology, ensuring our products scale to meet the needs of our customers while also delivering uniform and consistent user experiences.
At Ciena, our software developers are encouraged to challenge themselves and others by bringing fresh ideas to new challenges and to lead by example. Through collaborative efforts and great innovation, we continue to make advancements in optical network engineering that are second-to-none.
· Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve software
· Manage individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables
· Participate in the full software development lifecycle, collaborating with cross-functional teams of developers, UX designers, quality assurance teams & release managers
· Comfortable navigating ambiguity and situations where not all parameters and requirements are immediately available
· Bachelor’s degree in Electrical / Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field
· 5 years of experience in embedded software development
· Strong proficiency programming in the C language
· Working knowledge of Linux-based developer tools and debugging environment (GNU, GCC, GDB, Insight)
· Experience with developing software on multi-processor, highly concurrent systems
· Experience developing embedded solutions engineered for performance and reliability
· Familiarity with design and development tools such as Git, JIRA, Yocto, Docker, Bitbucket
· Proficient oral and written communications skills and collaborates well with others in a team environment
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
Ciena is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.