Senior Manager, Valuation
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5C2V9
Category : Financial Specialists
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 105246
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Reporting to the Director in Asset Management Operations, the Senior Manager Valuation is responsible for providing leadership to the Manager, Valuation in the strategic direction and support of securities valuation for the mutual fund trust entities under Scotiabank. The individual is accountable for the development and maintenance of team leadership, valuation models on private securities and daily valuation workflow.
• Champion a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
• Lead the research and analysis process on private debts and equities, both qualitative and quantitative, and be influential in the communication of the valuation position to both internal and external stakeholders who are sophisticated in the investment industry
• Independently provide leadership over quarterly valuation committee meetings to proactively discuss and articulate market updates/trends, private securities valuation and fair value adjustments to the valuation committee members
• Provide added value when hosting ad hoc analysis calls and meetings with portfolio managers, private companies and issuers to collect information, review analysis and communicate model results
• Must be in-tune with the investment industry and market conditions to propose fair value recommendations and to provide market updates and relative impact to valuation committee
• Responsible for providing leadership guidance to the Manager, Valuation in the successful delivery of daily securities valuation for the mutual fund trust entities under Scotiabank
• Provide direction to team to conduct interviews, financial statements analysis, financial modelling and peer comparison to form the basis on private securities valuations
• Responsible and accountable for daily operational performance and resolve issues related to valuation, escalate outstanding issues appropriately and accordingly
• Monitor and review daily corporate actions activities, resolving complex merger/acquisitions independently and collectively with the team
• Work hand-in-hand with business partners, such as Investment Counsel, Portfolio Administration Team and Fund Accounting Team, in meeting daily SLA and KPIs to internal and external clients
• Act as subject matter expert on the valuation policy including but not limited to maintain and update language within the policy to guide valuation methodology
• Participate in drafting and reviewing legal and compliance documents on valuation and provide inputs to reflect current practice
• Successful development of audit packages for both internal and external auditors on securities valuation and ensure that all data used have the required supporting backup
• Participating in special projects and other duties as required
• Understand how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
• Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas in accordance with Scotiabank’s Values, its Code of Conduct and the Global Sales Principles, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational, compliance, AML/ATF/sanctions and conduct risk.
• Champions a high-performance environment and contributes to an inclusive work environment.
Education / Experience
• Excellent coaching and problem-solving skills
• Experience summarizing complex data into executive presentations
• Self-motivated; takes initiative to seize opportunities for value-added activities
• Proven ability to influence multiple stakeholders ranging from working levels to executives
• Strong verbal & written communication skills, experience presenting to senior executives
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent time management & organizational skills
• Supporting Manager, Valuation on priorities in often conflicting deadlines
• Proven attention to detail with a desire for accuracy
Education / Experience / Other Information:
• Minimum 10 years’ experience in valuation with a focus on private sector
• Minimum 5 years’ experience providing leadership over people manager
• Experience in quantitative pricing method
• Undergraduate degree in finance, economies and accounting
• CPA, CFA and/or MBA are considered an asset
• Experience working with MCH and MPower – definite asset
• Proficiency in MS Office (i.e. Excel & Word) required
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.