City : SUDBURY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Estimator - ( 2300002M )
At our core, we’re a community. Together, we exercise creative thought, developing engineering and designs as unique as the people and projects we touch. From approval and permitting to design and construction management services, we put the goals of our clients and their communities at the center of everything we create. Join us as we assist mining companies in getting mined materials to communities around the globe.
Our Mining, Minerals, and Metals Business Line is currently looking for a Senior Estimator with mining, mine development, and/or construction experience to join our growing team. Stantec takes a measured approach to workplace flexibility and choice for employee’s workplaces. Our goal is to strike the optimal balance between sustaining successful teams, providing flexibility, and optimizing productivity for the benefit of our employees, projects, and clients. We value a vibrant, healthy, enriching workplace culture that considers employee well-being and work-life balance so our people can bring their best to work every day. This position will have flexibility in working from home or a Stantec office in Canada and may require some domestic and possibly international travel.
As a Senior Estimator at Stantec, you will be expected to:
- Manage, coordinate, and develop large multi-disciplinary cost estimates and construction schedules for our clients
- Coordinate team(s) of discipline estimator(s) and scheduler(s)
- Be a productive leader on the team, that will mentor and support others with the development of their skills
- Work with a dynamic team of managers, engineers, purchasers, cost estimators, and schedulers to ensure quality, consistency, and integrity of all estimate/schedule deliverables
The position will have responsibility to support exciting, complex projects across the globe ranging from approximately $1 million to $4 billion. The successful candidate will be responsible for the coordination and development of cost estimates and schedules for clients at traditional project development milestones.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Manage and coordinate the timely and complete development of multidiscipline cost estimates and construction schedules.
- Support and collaborate with other senior estimators for the development of cost estimates and construction schedules
- Provide generally non-routine estimating guidance for projects.
- Coordinate the input parameters for cost estimates and construction schedules.
- Validate quantity takeoffs and construction quantities from drawings.
- Coordinate and compile information from all estimating disciplines into one cost estimate.
- Prepare detailed labour-force work plans for estimating activities.
- Prepare basis of cost estimate report deliverables for the end user.
- Establish site-specific estimating criteria including wage and person-hour productivity rates.
- Perform thorough quality control of construction documents and provide design ideas and solutions.
- Provide support for procurement, change and claims valuation and negotiations.
- Prepare construction logistics plans.
- Provide innovative solutions for construction, estimating issues and problems.
- Interface with designated management and client counterparts for specific estimating tasks.
- Review design documents such as specifications and drawings to identify risks and opportunities related to competitive pricing for key project elements.
- Prepare and coordinate constructability reviews for engineering designs.
- Serve as a cost estimating point of contact for internal clients
- Manage and provide guidance to junior and intermediate estimating staff.
- Develop, maintain, and improve procedures and tools for cost estimating.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Extensive technical knowledge of cost estimating, engineering design, and construction practice and applicable standards and procedures
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: mining, mine contracting, shaft sinking, surface and/or underground construction (all disciplines).
- Advanced understanding of different contracting methods and how they apply to estimating.
- Must be competent with analysis, numeration, research, and the use of estimating and scheduling software. Experience with InEight Estimate, Primavera P6, and/or MS Project is preferred.
- Ability to travel for site visits and interfacing with clients and stakeholders (domestic and some international travel may be periodically required).
- Experience working with other discipline estimators to develop a comprehensive project estimate.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, direct, perform, review, and present cost estimating projects.
- Ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgement, creativity, and innovation.
- Ability to guide and mentor estimating team members in engineering and construction based estimating techniques and methodologies.
- Positive attitude with strong relationship building skills.
Education and Experience
- Technical degree/diploma/certification or equivalent in Engineering, Construction Management, Operations Management, Business Management, or related field.
- Minimum of 5-10 years of combined experience in estimating, scheduling, project controls, and field experience.
- Field experience in a heavy civil, mining, tunnelling, mine construction, and/or construction environment preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #FeelingEnergized
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Sudbury
Organization : BC-1695 Mining-CA Canada
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jul 10, 2023, 1:45:23 PM
Req ID: 2300002M
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans