Senior Environmental Planner
City : Edmonton
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Environmental Planner - ( 230004ZH )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environment talent on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec’s Alberta Environmental Services group is currently seeking a senior resource, with notable planning, regulatory approvals, and permitting experience, to lead large scale and dynamic environmental projects for key clients. The team is largely based in Calgary, and while we embrace our core value that “we are better together”, we do support flexible work situations and offer hybrid work solutions.
We are relationship builders who have established excellent working relationships with clients and regulators in western Canada. Our regulatory knowledge, environmental assessment experience and scientific expertise allow us to help our clients develop the most effective and innovative approach to meeting their needs for regulatory approvals and permitting, pre-construction planning and construction support.
In this position you will be exposed to an exciting array of large-scale projects, focused within Alberta and British Columbia, in various stages of their lifecycle which include environmental assessment, permitting, approval requirements, and construction and post-construction support. In addition, Stantec continues to grow and adapt to the changing environment within which we work contributing to a number of energy transition projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Drive project delivery with a key focus on efficient execution, project controls, and safety
- Collaborate with key stakeholders, including Indigenous groups, and subcontractors
- Coordinate and support project staff through all phases of project execution
- Work directly with Stantec’s team of senior technical leads to provide clients with strategic environmental advice throughout the project’s lifecycle
- Delivery of services to gain project approval, pre-construction and construction support, and post-construction and operational management
- Focus on projects within both federal and provincial regulatory frameworks (Alberta and British Columbia)
- Coordinate execution and review of environmental assessments and technical documents that support regulatory permitting
- Contribute to proposals, pre- qualifications, and relationship building with existing and prospective clients
- Support and ensure implementation of Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) policies, procedures, standards and guidelines in the execution of all work and coordinate with HSSE professionals during the execution of all phases of project planning and implementation
- Communicate and collaborate with other environmental and regulatory specialists to ensure consistency in project execution
- Work collaboratively with the team to provide innovative solutions and help meet our energy transition and Environmental, Social, and Governance goals
- Develop and mentor junior staff
- Participate in team and independent based work
- Take part in on the job learning and professional development opportunities
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to work with initiative, professionalism and confidentiality, multi-task and adapt to change in a very dynamic project environment
- Strong understanding of provincial and federal regulations, environmental assessment processes, permitting requirements and construction planning needs
- Demonstrated effective writing and communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Proven problem-solving skills and out-of-the-box thinking
- Strong interpersonal and social skills and ability to interact across a broad range of audiences/technical backgrounds, specifically:
- internal and external clients
- Indigenous groups
- regulatory agencies
- Committed to providing quality deliverables in a timely manner
- Ability and desire to coach and mentor junior staff
Your Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in the Sciences or in Environmental Studies desired.
- A minimum of 10 years of environmental and regulatory related experience in the energy and power sectors (midstream oil and gas, mining, electrical transmission, power generation, renewables), including energy transition.
- Direct experience in federally-regulated pipelines and facilities and/or provincially regulated pipelines, mines and facilities (Alberta and British Columbia) preferred.
- Direct knowledge of applications under the following regulatory bodies preferred:
- Canada Energy Regulator
- Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
- Alberta’s Energy Regulator
- British Columbia’s Energy Regulator
- Previous environmental consulting experience preferred.
- Previous pre-construction planning and construction support experience are key assets.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1235 EnvSvcs-CA Alberta
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Dec 13, 2023, 2:17:40 PM
Req ID: 230004ZH
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans