Senior Electrical Engineer
City : Burnaby
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Electrical Engineer - ( 230004DB )
Many of the world’s top engineers and scientists come together in our Water business because they view a community’s interaction with water a bit differently—as a single holistic system, rather than unconnected networks divided by jurisdictional boundaries. Working throughout the hydrologic cycle, we are delivering sustainable solutions to make sure water is where it should be and available when needed. Our experts guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. Every day, we help communities improve, reuse, and protect this precious resource for future generations. By 2025 we’re hiring 2,000 people (like you) to join our team. Grow with us, H2O+U.
Stantec is one of the world’s top engineering and consulting firms supporting the Water Industry. We make a difference in the world by creating communities, and we are looking for driven and talented professionals to join us in living that purpose.
We are currently seeking a passionate Senior Electrical Engineer to join our project delivery team: The same team that is tasked with delivering some of the most interesting and iconic water infrastructure projects in North America, from water and wastewater treatment, to conveyance, flood protection and resource recovery facilities. We develop innovative engineering solutions, implementing the latest technologies, to deliver optimized outcomes for our clients and communities.
As part of a global organization, you will have the opportunity to work with senior colleagues and experts from around the world in the delivery of challenging and exciting projects – at home and abroad. Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Your Key Responsibilities
The successful applicant will work within a multidisciplinary team of design and engineering professionals to deliver water and wastewater projects for both public and private sector clients. Your primary duty will be to lead the electrical design and engineering portions of all phases of the projects you are assigned to, from planning through post-construction.
You will be responsible for applying engineering knowledge and professional judgement acquired through experience to plan, size, evaluate, select, and specify electrical systems in accordance with relevant codes, standards and industry best practices. You will perform a variety of tasks which may include conducting field investigations, liaising with clients and contractors, carrying out detailed planning studies, preparing design calculations, authoring technical reports, delivering presentations to stakeholders, leading the development of construction packages (drawings and technical specifications), estimating construction costs, monitoring and supporting construction, participating in commissioning, and contributing to business development activities.
The projects to which you are assigned may have complex features that require the application of mature knowledge, particularly in water/wastewater related projects. The successful applicant is expected to:
- Act as electrical discipline lead on multidisciplinary projects.
- Act as technical lead and/or project manager on electrical projects.
- Act as a senior technical resource and electrical task lead on large and/or complex projects.
- Be the electrical engineer-of-record (EOR) for projects and project components of varying degrees of complexity.
- Develop and manage electrical scope, budget, staffing, and schedule for projects of all sizes.
- Conduct and/or oversee field reviews required to assess existing as-built conditions.
- Lead the preparation of electrical studies, assessments, technical memorandums, and reports.
- Evaluate and select electrical products and engineered systems for use on projects.
- Lead the preparation and coordination of electrical construction drawings, such as:
+ Single line diagrams (SLDs)
+ Power and Lighting Plans
+ Grounding and Lightning Protection Plans
+ Wiring diagrams
+ Motor control schematics
+ Riser diagrams
+ Installation details
+ Schedules (panel schedules, cable schedules, etc.)
- Lead the preparation of electrical technical specifications, equipment datasheets, and testing and commissioning plans.
- Lead the coordination of electrical technical specifications and drawings with construction documents and other disciplines.
- Lead the modeling, study, and analysis of power systems (load flow, short circuit, protective device coordination, arc flash, and motor acceleration studies).
- Provide guidance, training and mentorship for junior and intermediate engineers and designers.
- Lead project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Participate in client project requirement meetings, value analysis, and basic cost estimating.
- Participate in constructability reviews.
- Conduct quality assurance reviews and implements quality control frameworks on own projects.
- Conduct technical reviews of project deliverables produced by peers and subordinate engineers.
- Assist in the development of new standards and specifications for the electrical group.
- Oversee and manage multiple projects.
- Conduct and/or oversee construction phase services, such as responding to RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and completing field reviews of construction for conformance with design.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge, interpretation, and application of industry standards as well as electrical and building codes.
- Advanced understanding of electrical engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Strong understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications, particularly in the water/wastewater industry.
- Strong knowledge of electrical systems, construction means and methods, materials, and industry standards, particularly in the water/wastewater industry.
- Demonstrated ability to lead one or more teams through all phases of project delivery.
- Ability to effectively review the work of others for accuracy and completeness.
- Ability to manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Participates and collaborates in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Very strong oral and written communication skills.
- Very strong technical writing skills (reports, memorandums, specifications).
- Strong presentation, interpersonal and interview skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and AutoDesk products (i.e., AutoCAD, Revit). Familiarity with Bentley products (i.e., Microstation) is an asset.
- Experience with specialized power system software such as ETAP, SKM PowerTools, and/or EasyPower is a significant asset. Advanced knowledge of associated studies is a requirement.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Desire and ability to provide coaching and mentorship to junior and intermediate staff.
- Project management experience, particularly in the municipal water/wastewater sector, will be a significant asset.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering required
- Licensed Professional Engineer. Minimum of 8 years of experience.
Typical office environment, working with computers and drawings for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to hazards including construction, weather, and industrial operations that may be experienced at water and/or wastewater related facilities.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Other Locations : Canada-British Columbia-Victoria, Canada-Alberta-Calgary, Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby, Canada-Alberta-Red Deer
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1269 Water-CA Delivery
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Oct 24, 2023, 10:59:14 AM
Req ID: 230004DB
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans