Research Assistant (Bachelor’s Degree, Recent Graduates) (Various locations, ON, CA)
City : Ottawa
Category : Other
Industry : Banking/Financial
Employer : Bank of Canada
Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” The Bank offers the unique opportunity to work at the very centre of Canada’s economy, in a diverse and inclusive organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. Employees are challenged, energized, and motivated to excel in an environment where they strive to be forward-looking and innovative, welcome people with diverse perspectives and talents, and work to live up to the Bank’s commitments.
Each year, the Bank hires Bachelor-level graduates as Research Assistants to support the important work undertaken at the Bank. Research Assistants are employed across the economic and financial research departments of the Bank, all of which contribute to the execution of the Bank’s core functions. This is a great opportunity to work with leading-edge tools at the centre of Canada’s economic and financial system and to gain valuable work experience before pursuing your graduate studies.
Most Research Assistant positions are located at the Head Office in Ottawa. Some positions could also be available in some of the Regional Offices across Canada.
What you will do
Do you get excited about the latest economic and financial topics? We do too! Come and join us as a Research Assistant, where you will work within a team of economists and analysts in solving complex economic and financial issues. You can expect to:
- Contribute to analyzing economic and financial conditions in Canada and the world to building intuitive narratives that shape policy recommendations.
- Assist senior staff in preparing briefings, such as written analysis of relevant economic developments, for Governing Council.
- Assist us in interpreting vast amounts of economic and financial data by collecting, organizing, manipulating, and analyzing, and communicate your findings to senior leadership.
- Contribute to research projects on leading-edge economic and financial topics, helping our researchers in the conduct of analysis.
- Support the publication of the Bank’s key flagship publications, such as the Monetary Policy Report or the Financial System Review, and staff papers.
Positions will be filled throughout the year, from November 2022 to August 2023, based on operational needs. This opportunity will be posted two times a year, in September 2022 and in March 2023, and you only need to submit your application once to be considered.
Note: If you applied to the 2021-2022 campaign (September 2021 or January/March 2022), we invite you to re-apply at this time.
For your candidacy to be considered, you must have completed a Bachelor’s degree between 1 January 2020 and 31 December 2023, in one of the following areas of study:
Economics; Finance; Commerce or Business Administration with a major in Economics or Finance; Computer Science with a major or minor in Economics or Finance; Mathematics or Statistics
Your analytical and technical skills
- Business computer skills (Microsoft office, etc.)
- Excellent analytical, research and problem-solving skills
- Experience in collecting, organizing and manipulating data
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to learning and self-development
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team, or independently
- Ability to organize work effectively
- Experience in modelling and programming with technical tools such as Matlab, Python, EViews, R, Stata, C/Fortran, ArcGIS, Bloomberg, Reuters, VBA, SQL, etc.
- Knowledge of econometrics and regressions, or microeconomic/macroeconomic principles; financial modelling; financial market issues and developments; financial data; financial theory and quantitative methods; trade support issues for financial markets; policy and regulatory issues related to financial systems.
All applicants must submit a completed online application including the following MANDATORY documents:
- Current curriculum vitae (CV)
- Cover letter (please tailor your cover letter to ensure you are describing why you are interested in working at the Bank, how this experience would help you further your aspirations, and how your course work and experience make you an exceptional candidate that we should select!)
- Official or unofficial transcripts of your undergraduate academic record. Relevant courses you have attended must be clearly identified by their course titles
Hybrid work model #I-Hybrid
The Bank is conducting a trial of a hybrid working model which provides employees with the flexibility to telework for significant portions of each month. During the trial, employees will be expected to come onsite on those days when they are involved in activities that they or their leader feel are better conducted in person and to build connections with colleagues. For the majority of employees, it is expected that onsite time will range from 5 to 10 days per month, depending on your role. You must live in Canada, and within reasonable commuting distance of the office.
Please note that the application of the Bank’s Covid-19 Vaccination policy has been temporarily suspended, effective June 20, 2022. As a result, you will not be required to submit verification of your vaccination status before starting employment with the Bank. However, please note that the Bank reserves the right to reintroduce vaccination requirements in the future if necessary to respond to changing public health advice andor government direction.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career.
- Salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $58,250 to $68,530 (Job grade 13)
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (3 to 5% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (7% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health and dental coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Option to join the indexed, defined-benefit pension plan after 24 consecutive months of service
For more information on key benefits, please visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers/working-here.
- Language requirement: English or French essential
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Reliability or Secret