City : Oshawa, ON, CA, L1G 1E1
Category : Regular Full Time, Project Management
Industry : Public Utilities
Employer : Ontario Power Generation
Status: Regular Full time
Working Conditions: Hybrid
Education Level: 4-year University degree, Engineering, Science or Business; P. Eng. an asset; PMP an asset
Number of Position(s): 4
Deadline to Apply: March 8, 2024
Electrify your career and help build a brighter tomorrow.
Every generation has a challenge that defines them. At OPG, we are calling on all innovators, disruptors, thought leaders and change-makers. Join us to electrify life in one generation and build a sustainable future powered by our electricity, our ideas, and our people. Join OPG and make history.
Whether you work in the skilled trades or are a business professional, a career at OPG is an opportunity to electrify your life on -- and off -- the job.
OPG is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees feel valued, respected, and supported. If you require accommodation during the application or interview process, please advise us as soon as possible so appropriate arrangements can be made.
If you require information in a format that is accessible to you, please contact AODA@opg.com
OPG is working to meet the projected future electricity demands of the province, be a leader in the energy transition, and fight climate change for generations to come. The Darlington New Nuclear Project is leading the way in the advancement of Small Modular Reactor (SMR) technology in Canada – the future of nuclear power generation!
Using new and innovative technologies such as small modular reactors, hydrogen and battery storage, while expanding our hydroelectric and nuclear portfolios, we are changing the electricity landscape in Ontario. Join us to electrify life in one generation and build a sustainable future powered by our electricity, our ideas, and our people. Join OPG and make history
This position is moving to OPG Corporate Headquarters: In Summer 2025, OPG will officially welcome employees to our new Corporate Headquarters located at 1908 Colonel Sam Drive, Oshawa, Ontario. This new space will enable teamwork, collaboration and innovation that will help us to achieve our mission to electrify life in one generation.
Ontario Power Generation (OPG) is looking for multiple dynamic, strategic and results-driven professional to join our team in the role of Project Leader.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Projects, this position is responsible to lead and administer the coordination and execution of assigned projects within different portfolios.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in an environment where you will contribute to OPG’s public outreach, engagement and education efforts as part of the company’s commitment to growing its social license.
- Coordinate, facilitate and drive project scoping, planning, execution, and close out.
- Coordinate the clarification of design and specification requirements and arrange for necessary changes.
- Coordinate and participate in the preparation of specifications, bid packages, evaluation of tenders, and purchasing recommendations.
- Arrange and lead meetings to coordinate the requirements of designers, suppliers, construction and OPG internal stakeholder groups.
- Prepare scope of work documents, lead constructability reviews, prepare Business Case Summaries for Senior Management, the Executive Office and the Board of Directors, for project approval and the release of funds.
- Prepare and coordinate the preparation of all information pertinent to an assigned project and alternatives to be considered for input into planning.
- Review construction contractor labour estimates, schedules, execution plans, inspection and test plans and project oversight plans.
- Gather input from stakeholder departments and agencies to ensure project requirements are captured and detailed in the project documents.
- Provide oversight of construction contractors integrated, logically tied, resource loaded project schedules which incorporate identified scope, risks, estimates/budgets and constraints that support effective project management and field execution.
- Maintain close liaison with construction contractor on matters involving conventional and nuclear safety during all stages of the project; engineering documents and construction work plans; purchasing, handling and storage of materials and tools; work protection and work permits; detailed execution planning and readiness preparations; daily progress reporting and schedule performance; completion of turnover documentation and quality records and other related issues.
- Perform regular field walk downs in standard and radiological work areas to ensure contractors are compliant with OPG and OHSA safety and quality standards.
- Evaluate vendor proposals, negotiate contracts, and make recommendations for contract award that provides the best value to OPG.
- Initiate, manage, and administer contracts including payments and change orders.
- Provide management and project managers with regular project reports such as level one summaries and participate in regular process progress meetings.
- Maintain awareness of, and keep all project parties informed of latest construction, budgeting, estimating and scheduling practices and other corporate procedures.
- Review and maintain awareness of all corporate and local procedures pertinent to project control and administration. Maintain process compliance during project execution and advise supervisor if compliance cannot be achieved.
- 4-year university degree, Engineering, Science or Business; P. Eng. an asset; PMP an asset
- Licensed Professional Engineer (P.Eng) designation is a desirable asset
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation is a desirable asset
We are looking for a seasoned Project Leader with the following qualifications and experience:
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a flexible hybrid office environment.
- 6+ years of experience in project management, specifically, in developing project requirements and plans; preparing cost estimates; participating in contract bidding and award processes, managing projects and contracts in execution phase, and managing project closeout.
- Experience within the Nuclear industry is a strong asset
- Prior experience in managing conflicting priorities of scope, schedule, cost and quality.
- Sound knowledge and familiarity with equipment and processes in hydroelectric generating stations or similar heavy industries.
- Excellent problem solving abilities and the ability provide guidance.
- Experience and knowledge of cost accounting and forecasting as it relates to project management.
- Experience in managing projects of increasing complexity is considered a necessary requirement; project complexity would normally be defined by multiple-contract, multiple stakeholder projects with schedule constraints.
- Requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills and highly developed organizational skills.
The successful candidate will exhibit uncompromising integrity and commitment to upholding corporate values, and the OPG Code of Business Conduct.
What Makes a Career at OPG Different?
As Ontario’s largest clean energy generator, we’re building, expanding, and innovating the equipment and technology that keeps Ontario powered with clean, reliable energy.
At OPG, our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about our organization that don’t change:
Safety – it’s our business
Integrity – always lead with integrity
Excellence – never satisfied with good enough
Inclusion – working together for powerful outcomes
Innovation - creativity accelerates possibility
Here's why OPG might just be the ideal workplace for you:
- Exceptional range of opportunities province-wide
- Long-term career growth and development opportunities
- Electricity is vital to the province and OPG’s clean electricity is helping decarbonize other sectors.
Our promise to you:
- We care about the safety and the well-being of our employees. It is our utmost priority.
- A supportive work environment where you can be your best every day.
- Opportunities to stretch and develop.
- Offer different ways for you to give back to communities where we operate.
- Partner with Indigenous communities and support local businesses.
- We support employment equity, diversity and inclusion.
Are you ready to start a career that has the power to electrify life on and off the job? Apply now.
Please submit your application online at https://jobs.opg.com/ by 11:59 PM E.S.T., March 8, 2024. OPG thanks all those who apply; however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.