City : See posting
Category : Other
Industry : Public Services/Utilities
Employer : Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO)
INDEPENDENT ELECTRICITY SYSTEM OPERATOR (IESO)
|Business Unit:||Corporate Services|
Why join us?
You’ve got great skills. And you want to use them in an organization where you know what you do every day matters. We get that.
We also know that ensuring Ontarians have access to affordable and reliable power doesn’t happen by accident. So we give you the tools, flexibility and support you need to achieve your goals, and development opportunities to help you grow. You’ll thrive in a collaborative, team-based environment that values your unique skills and experiences – and recognizes that when you do better, we become even better too.
Who we are
The Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) works at the centre of the province’s power system, ensuring Ontarians have access to reliable and cost-effective electricity when and where they need it. We operate the province’s electricity grid 24/7, design, run and oversee the wholesale electricity markets, and plan and prepare to meet Ontario’s electricity needs – now and into the future.
The Project Analyst is responsible for supporting the delivery of larger projects that meet their stated business objectives within agreed timeline and budget and delivering a number of small scale projects in parallel. Assigned projects will utilize cross functional teams consisting of both internal IESO staff as well as external service providers and vendors.
What you'll be doing
- Acts as a project analyst with overall responsibility to support project managers in the successful initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure of larger scale projects.
- For small scale projects is responsible for the successful initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure of assigned projects.
- Supports the project manager to plan, acquire and engage external services through the IESO procurement process to resource and support project delivery.
- Promotes a project management best practice culture at all levels, ensuring a communication plan is developed and executed considering all project stakeholders and their needs.
- Supports monitoring activities and the effective and efficient use of the IESO control mechanisms so that major project decisions, such as solution design and scope changes, are approved by project sponsors and senior management; including stakeholders who are impacted by the outcome from the project.
- Utilizes change management discipline on project scope, time and cost changes.
- Supports the development of RFPs, and the establishment of contracts to ensure on-time project delivery. Supports the development of the vendors’ statement of work and ensure vendor resources are managed to statement of work and project objectives.
- Works in compliance with all IESO Project Management governance, methodologies, standards, processes and templates.
- Supports in the engagement of QA function to ensure that an effective QA (Quality Assurance) plan is in place for all projects.
- Keeps current with latest trends in project management and maintains knowledge of current best practices in project management.
- Performs other duties (special assignments) as may be assigned by the immediate supervisor.
What you'll need
- Good communication skills/experience including facilitation, presentations and written communications at senior management levels including Director
- Demonstrates inter-personal skills, conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- Ability to clearly and concisely articulate project goals and objectives; listens actively and effectively and clarifies information as needed; interprets verbal and non-verbal messages; communicates tactfully and candidly.
- Assists in the presentation of oral and written reports defining plans, problems and resolutions to the appropriate level of management.
- Provides guidance to the team members about the project so that the team members can understand their tasks fully and act on them efficiently.
- Assists with the project target to meet its stated objectives within the approved scope, budget and timelines.
- Assists in managing project budgets and schedules including forecasting, monitoring and adherence to corporate business policies.
- Assist in Estimating costs to complete deliverables, activities and phases of the project.
- Plans and manages project resources, and provide necessary alerts to management.
- Plans, assigns and monitors project work with appropriate instructions and technical direction while assuming primary responsibility for achieving overall project objectives.
- Supports open communications across project teams/stakeholders.
- Understands who the client is, what are the clients’ needs/expectations and provides realistic responses and actively monitors the client from planning to closeout.
- Supports in the preparation of plans and results as required with the steering committees, management, and external customers ensuring appropriate stakeholder involvement throughout the project for improving delivery.
- Supports the project manager in managing stakeholder understanding, engagement and active participation specific to project scope, risk, delivery and changes.
- Makes decisions and takes action on matters directly affecting the project objectives. Escalations to supervisor required.
Influencing and Leading
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently toward goals in a complex, diverse environment with multiple stakeholders and changing demands with supervision.
- Demonstrates collaboration skills and techniques which lead to conflict resolution, creating lasting productive partnerships.
- Requires knowledge encompassing the technical fields; relevant to the areas of computer science, engineering, technical service delivery, and risk management.
- Requires knowledge of project management; theory, principles, and practices including the Project Management Institute (PMI) best practices.
- Requires knowledge of Business and IT business methods, procedures and organization structures in order to be aware of limitations that can be imposed and to recognize factors influencing the effective implementation of methodologies, risk and project management activities
- Requires facilitation and communications (written and oral) skills to prepare accurate, concise, and clear correspondence, procedures, guidelines, and reports.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired, either through the successful completion of 4 years of university education in an appropriate discipline or by having the equivalent education.
- PMP or CAPM certification is preferred but not required.
- Understanding of projects through some of the phases of the project Management life cycle.
- Knowledge and understanding of PMI methodology, standards, phases, techniques and tools.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a set of plans and programs to meet the goals and priorities of the approved ranked/prioritized project.
- Assist in managing key project deliverables, action log, issue/risk mitigation activities.
- Assist in identifying and/or facilitating project risks and contingency requirements.
- Requires proficiency in computer tools application skills in managing projects; such as MS Project, EXCEL, Access, Visio, SharePoint and Word.
- Working in a team environment where different opinions and perspectives have to be managed, negotiated and resolved.
- Some understanding required in the areas of:
- Business case/project charter development;
- Project Plan and Schedule development;
- RFP/RFQ/RFI preparations, negotiations, SOW, vendor contract management and administration;
- Project monitoring and control; and
- Preparation of various reports throughout project management life cycle.
- Proven track record of meeting/exceeding customer expectations.
Over 4 years up to and including 6 years’ experience, including 0 -2 years of project management experience
What’s in it for you
- A comprehensive total rewards program, including best-in-class benefits and a flexible workplace
- A challenging, fast-paced and collaborative team environment, where your perspectives and experiences matter
- Leaders who support your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching
- The opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry
Deadline: December 8, 2022
For future reference, please ensure to save a copy of the job description as it will no longer be available once the posting closes.
At the IESO, we know that achieving great results depends on embracing diversity by attracting, developing and retaining people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do this by ensuring our recruitment and advancement policies are fair and equitable, and by creating an accessible and inclusive environment – one that values every team member’s unique skills and experiences and ensures they have the support they need to achieve their potential. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know.
We thank you for your interest in a career at the IESO, but we will only contact those candidates selected for an interview.
Note: The successful candidate must be eligible to work in Canada and will be subject to a background check.
The IESO commenced its 6 month Hybrid Work Model Pilot Program on March 28th, 2022. The Model allows for remote working up to three days per week, based on business needs. When working in the office, you will be located at our Mississauga office.
Join our talent community
Sign up for talent community; stay in touch, find out about new opportunities – and discover how you can make a difference. Discover how we use our expertise and commitment to deliver reliable and affordable electricity to Ontario’s businesses and communities, and how we’re innovating to secure a stronger energy future for all Ontarians. Visit Careers at IESO and be sure to follow us on LinkedIn.
Find out why we were selected as Greater Toronto’s Top 2022 Employers, and what we offer.