Principal Geotechnical Engineer
City : VANCOUVER
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Principal Geotechnical Engineer - ( 230004OY )
At our core, we are a community. Together, we exercise creative thought, developing engineering and designs as individual as the people and projects we touch. From approval and permitting to design and construction management services, we put the goals of our clients and their communities at the center of everything we create. Join us as we assist mining companies in getting mined materials to communities around the globe.
Stantec is seeking a Principal Geotechnical Engineer to join our global mining practice as a leader in our Vancouver or Calgary office. This position will work collaboratively with the Global Mining, Mineral and Metals (MMM) Business Line, to support the service needs of our clients on local and international projects.
The focus of the position will be to lead and engage our highly skilled team of engineers and scientists in the technical execution of planning and design of Waste Storage Facilities (WSF), Tailings Storage Facilities (TSF) and Water Management Facilities in support of mining activity spanning from aggregates to precious metals.
In the role you will develop, maintain and enhance Stantec’s team capabilities, market profile, position and brand imaging as it relates to civil/geotechnical engineering through our global strategic plan. You will play a key role in managing the risk exposure for Stantec and our clients in the global marketplace.
Your Key Responsibilities
- The Principal Geotechnical Engineer must have a strong technical background in geotechnical and civil engineering with in-depth knowledge of design, construction, and closure practices for mining facilities, particularly covering full lifecycles of tailings and waste storage facilities, in a variety of climatic and seismic regions around the world.
- As a leader in the Stantec organization, it is also expected that the Principal Geotechnical Engineer will have a good business awareness and acumen. The person will need to possess a competent understanding of project/program management fundamentals, have a firm understanding of the relationship between technical delivery, project scope, costs, and schedule, as well as possess strong client and team interaction skills.
- The Principal Geotechnical Engineer will be a core member of our global tailings and waste practice who will be assisting with strategic planning and execution.
- This role may require assuming Engineer of Record (EOR) duties for tailings and/or mine storage facilities/water dams.
- This position may include engaging in several key technical practice disciplines beyond engineering, including but are not limited to geology, hydrogeology, environmental practices/permitting, rock mechanics, water management, process design and pumping/piping of slurry tailings. The role will encounter varying degrees of technical oversight by clients and/or regulatory agencies.
- Have a clear understanding of the current and future market and business conditions, revenue and profit potential, major clients and competitors in our active mining markets.
- Assist in developing and then implementing regional, country, and client marketing strategies to enable optimum market penetration of the sector in selected geographies.
- Identify the skill and expertise gaps to meet the current and future market opportunities and support suitable recruitment or development actions within the Mining, Mineral and Metals Business Line leadership to address them.
- Assist in the recruitment of high caliber engineers and scientists to our Global Mining, Mineral and Metals Practice.
- Participate in conferences, seminars, interact with the media, public, and represent Stantec in social, community, and business situations.
- Complete work in line with Stantec Core Values and in accordance with the Stantec Quality, Safety & Environment Systems and Project Quality Procedures.
- Travel as required (typically <10% of year).
- Management and/or supervision of technical staff members may be required.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal, technical/business writing, electronic communications and presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Understanding of mining operations and tailings and mine waste management, geotechnical material characterization (particularly mined materials or borrow sources), slope stability, seismic deformation analyses, liquefaction potential, seismic hazard assessments, seepage and foundation characteristics of dams/tailings storage facilities, performance assessment, instrumentation and monitoring programs, and progressive reclamation/closure.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and work well with others to achieve group results.
- Ability to lead several projects or tasks with a sound understanding of overall goals, objectives, and costs to our clients.
- Possess strong problem-solving skills and ability to make timely decisions or lead and develop others to do so.
- Provide technical, safety and logistical leadership to project teams throughout the completion of programs in various stages of development.
- Strong mentoring, collaboration and leadership skills and desire to encourage and coach staff.
- Registered Professional Engineer (Canada and/or U.S.) within applicable states or provinces where mining projects occur (or equivalent eligibility).
- Membership in professional bodies related to geotechnical engineering, tailings/water dams, and international mining.
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Civil, Geotechnical, or Geological Engineering from an accredited university preferred.
- Professional engineer license required.
- EOR or Deputy EOR experience in tailings/water dams is preferred.
- Minimum 15-20yrs experience and proven ability to lead complex projects preferred.
Typical working environment includes working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of duties or responsibilities. Other tasks may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, perform exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best!
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1695 Mining-CA Canada
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Nov 16, 2023, 2:30:44 PM
Req ID: 230004OY
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans