City : Mississauga, ON, CA, L5B1M2
Category : Financial Specialists
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 184567
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
MD Management Limited, a division of Scotia Wealth Management, has an exciting opportunity for a talented, enthusiastic, and client-focused Portfolio Manager to join our team.
The Portfolio Manager occupies a key role within MD Financial Management. Working as a partner with MD’s Financial Consultants, the Portfolio Manager will leverage his/her years of experience, specifically delivering discretionary investment management services to high net worth clients to foster, maintain and strengthen client relationships.
Is this role right for you? In this role you will:
• Assess client objectives and risk tolerance, calibrate investment solutions based on client input and cues, develop and implement appropriate written Investment Policy Statement; this includes gathering client personal information, determining asset allocation and identifying special needs and liquidity requirements
• Analyze securities for transfer in-kind due to capital gain/loss reasons, analyze segregated stocks and bonds to determine classification, suitability, and eventual disposition/tranching-in strategies, review credit quality and duration of fixed income investments, analyze industry, sector and country allocation as it pertains to equity investments
• Communicate and explain to clients the individual fund manager's strategy; this includes management style and view of each Pool held in the portfolio, MD's strategic and tactical view on markets and the economy, and overall portfolio performance
• Perform ngoing client reviews including discussion of portfolio performance, periodic reviews of appropriateness of objectives and of tax situation and cash flow needs
• Participate in networking activities to foster relationships to ensure the value proposition, as it relates to Private Investment Counsel, is promoted and understood
• In conjunction with the Financial Consultants, work to assist in developing client understanding and education of Private Investment products
• Participate in discovery meetings, working with Financial Consultants and other advisors within the team to develop client wealth plans
• Understand how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
• Actively pursue effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas in accordance with Scotiabank’s Values, its Code of Conduct and the Global Sales Principles, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational, compliance, AML/ATF/sanctions and conduct risk.
• Champion a high performance environment and contributes to an inclusive work environment.
The Must Haves:
• Minimum of 6 years experience specifically delivering discretionary investment management services to high net worth clients
• Must be registered or have the ability to become immediately registered with the appropriate provincial securities commission as a Portfolio Manager
• Must be a CFA charter holder (including 12 months of relevant investment management experience subject to regulatory approval) or possess their Chartered Investment Manager (CIM) designation (including 24 months of relevant investment management experience subject to regulatory approval)
• University degree is required
• Broad based business experience and acumen in supporting and partnering with other wealth lines of business and delivering services to external clients
• Is respected within external community and external peer group as a credible and open partner where he/she can seek and provide advice
• Knowledge and understanding of critical macro-economic issues for their potential financial impact on clients’ investment portfolios
• Ability to articulate the firm’s macro view of the economy, markets and global issues and incorporate this perspective into the firm’s capital market return assumptions and advice regarding clients’ investment goals and strategies
• Thorough understanding of MD fund manager selection and oversight processes, including the managers’ methods and their research used in selecting securities
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role? – We’d love to work with you if you have:
• A Client focused approach
• Strong relationship building skills
• Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
• Strong business intelligence with a clear understanding of complex multi-stakeholder demands
• Demonstrated behaviors consistent with MD Financial Management: client first, mutual trust and high integrity
• Strong team player abilities
What’s in it for you?
• We are big proponents of life-work integration and provide the flexibility and tools to achieve such.
• We believe an inclusive and diverse work environment makes for happy and productive employees.
• We offer programs and benefits to support and sustain the mental and physical health of our employees and their families.
• We offer competitive salaries and incentive programs, a defined contribution pension plan and an employee share option purchase program.
• We offer generous paid time off programs
• We offer a variety of preferred banking, credit card, mortgage and home/auto insurance options and discounts.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Mississauga
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.