Master’s Internship (Ottawa (Downtown), ON, CA)
City : Ottawa
Category : Other
Industry : Banking/Financial
Employer : Bank of Canada
Take a central role
As Canada's central bank, the Bank of Canada's vision is to be "A leading central bank-dynamic, engaged and trusted-committed to a better Canada." No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very centre of Canada's economy, in an organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. Employees are challenged, energized, and motivated to excel in an environment where they strive to be forward-looking and innovative, welcome people with diverse perspectives and talents, and work to live up to the Bank’s commitments.
About the position
As an Internship student, you would work under the direction of the Director responsible for the particular division in which you are located. Key responsibilities for all of the positions include the following:
- conducting high-quality analysis and research on subjects related to the responsibility of the division
- collecting, organizing and manipulating data from internal and external data sources
- contribute to the analysis and/or operations conducted by the team to fulfill the mandate/responsibilities of the hiring departments.
Your future responsibilities
Specific Responsibilities for Departments hiring in 2022-2023.
Financial and Enterprise Risk
- assist in the design and development of models, applications, tools and reports to measure financial risk
- support analysis with respect to risk-management topics and issues
- develop and document processes, procedures and controls
- support the team in the implementation of operational responsibilities
Financial Stability Department
- contribute to developing quantitative tools and models to assess risks and vulnerabilities in the financial system
- analyze issues related to the financial sector (e.g., financial institutions, household sector)
Your knowledge and skills
- ability to communicate information and ideas adapted to the target audience, using clear and compelling written and oral communication skills
- ability to bring a range of considerations to issues and to conduct careful analysis
- ability to integrate specialized and complex areas of expertise, e.g., financial market analysis, economic analysis and regulatory issues analysis
- ability to work collaboratively and effectively with others within the team, across teams, with other departments and with contacts outside of the Bank, as well as independently
- ability to program in common mathematical or statistical languages
- completion of, or enrolment in, Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Financial Risk Manager (FRM) or similar program
- strong background in quantitative methods
- strong background in trading systems
- knowledge of the Canadian financial system
Your education and experience
For your candidacy to be considered, you must be currently enrolled in an official master’s-level internship program, specializing in economics or finance.
- enrolled in a master’s degree program in finance or economics
All applicants must submit a completed online application that includes the following documentations to support their candidacy:
- a current curriculum vitae
- cover letter
- official or unofficial transcripts of your undergraduate academic record. Relevant courses you have attended must be clearly identified by their course titles
English or French essential
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team.
- Salary is $27.23 (hourly) (job grade Student C)
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Be eligible to obtain Reliability or Secret
- There will be no relocation assistance provided
Remote work / Hybrid Work Model #LI-Remote
The Bank is conducting a trial of a hybrid working model which provides employees with the flexibility to telework for significant portions of each month. During the trial, employees will be expected to come onsite on those days when they are involved in activities that they or their leader feel are better conducted in person and to build connections with colleagues. For the majority of employees, it is expected that onsite time will range from 5 to 10 days per month, depending on your role. You must live in Canada, and within reasonable commuting distance of the office.
Please note that the application of the Bank’s Covid-19 Vaccination policy has been temporarily suspended, effective June 20, 2022. As a result, you will not be required to submit verification of your vaccination status before starting employment with the Bank. However, please note that the Bank reserves the right to reintroduce vaccination requirements in the future if necessary to respond to changing public health advice andor government direction.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.