Manager, Health & Safety
City : Mississauga, Canada
Category : Full-Time
Industry : Health & Safety
Employer : Mattamy Homes
Mattamy Homes Canada
Health & Safety, GTA Low Rise
Director, Health & Safety
When it comes to forward-thinking homebuilding and thoughtfully planned communities, Canadians think of Mattamy Homes. And that success is centred on a foundation of great people, because our team is as solid as they come. At Mattamy, we are optimistic, hardworking and supportive. Together we learn and grow as we strive to create a positive impact in the homebuilding industry. Contributing to the Mattamy Way means being surrounded by caring people who encourage you to be exactly who you are. It means your opinion is invited and your contributions count. And it means a career filled with pride, knowing you’re part of an environmentally-conscious, action-oriented organization with big plans for the future. The opportunity to bring the future of living to homeowners based on what Canadians value is exciting – and we’re making it happen.
Learn more about what makes working at Mattamy special and our award-winning culture.
What we offer
The Manager, Health & Safety is responsible for delivering safety excellence through effective communication, collaboration, and innovative problem solving. This role demonstrates safety leadership by overseeing all health and safety activities on Mattamy’s worksites including prevention strategies, safety reporting, risk assessments, and auditing.
What you’ll do
- Communicate and promote Mattamy’s corporate health & safety policy/program.
- Assist in the development, implementation and maintenance of Mattamy’s Health and Safety Program including Safe Work Practices, Safe Job Procedures, and the Site Emergency Response Plan.
- Monitor site conditions, activities, and the safety performance of all on site workers to ensure that all workers on the site work safely and that the general public is protected.
- Encourage and educate employees and trade partners to take precautions and adhere to safety standards and rules.
- Conduct audits and inspections on assigned projects as directed.
- In collaboration with the HS director and site teams, lead safety initiatives, which includes communicating and implementing best practices and lessons learned.
- Report and thoroughly investigate all serious incidents of injuries, accidents, and near misses; identify root cause and recommend corrective actions. Document findings thoroughly and effectively and report to Management and appropriate government authorities in a timely manner.
- Assist in ensuring that health & safety committees are in place, meeting regularly, and documenting their activities in accordance with OHS requirements.
- Review site plans before work commences, identifying safety related risks.
- Liaise with external parties such as government inspectors, sub contractors, and general public.
- When required assist management with the sourcing, training, onboarding, and hiring process for Site Health and Safety Representatives.
- Represent Mattamy at meetings with stakeholders and other organizations on issues regarding workplace health and safety matters.
- Assist in the management of Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for all controlled products on a site.
- Assist in the management of WSIB claims, the modified duties and return to work programs.
- Travel to our GTA sites required.
What you bring
- Post-secondary education or equivalent working experience, specializing in occupational health & safety discipline.
- 5 years’ experience coordinating and managing health and safety in construction and residential real estate.
- Knowledge of Construction projects with a solid understanding of the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Understanding of the Workplace Safety Insurance Board (WSIB) and return to work program.
- Previous experience leading a team, including coaching and mentorship.
- Previous experience in investigating, interviewing, documenting, and reporting incidents and accidents in a health & safety context.
- Intermediate to advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Adaptable and flexible to an ever-changing environment.
- Detail oriented with strong organization and time management skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Able to build consensus and influence people, particularly in learning situations.
- Ability to work with different types of people and adaptable to different work environments.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well independently or as a team player.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and clean drivers abstract as the role requires the operation of a Mattamy vehicle to perform duties.
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) designation
- Certificate of Recognition (COR) Auditor and National Construction Safety Officer (NCSO) designation
We encourage applicants who meet most of the role requirements to hit that submit button and apply! It’s okay if you don’t have 100% of the requirements. If you’re the right candidate, we’ll help you learn and grow.
Who we are
Mattamy Homes is the largest privately owned homebuilder in North America, with 40-plus years of history across Canada and the United States. Every year, Mattamy helps more than 8,000 families realize their dream of home ownership. In Canada, our communities stretch across the Greater Toronto Area as well as in Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton.
Be yourself. We want it that way.
At Mattamy, we're passionate about creating and promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can do their best work. Diversity and inclusion are important to the work we do to support our homebuyers, colleagues, and communities. From how we build our teams to cultivating our leaders, we're on a journey toward a welcoming, barrier-free culture for everyone.
Mattamy Homes Canada is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation through any aspects of the selection process, please notify us on your application and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Qualified applicants will be contacted directly by the Talent Acquisition team.