City : See posting
Category : Other
Industry : Public Services/Utilities
Employer : Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO)
INDEPENDENT ELECTRICITY SYSTEM OPERATOR (IESO)
|Toronto - hybrid
|Temporary up to 24 month
|Market Assessment & Compliance
Why join us?
You’ve got great skills. And you want to use them in an organization where you know what you do every day matters. We get that.
We also know that ensuring Ontarians have access to affordable and reliable power doesn’t happen by accident. So we give you the tools, flexibility and support you need to achieve your goals, and development opportunities to help you grow. You’ll thrive in a collaborative, team-based environment that values your unique skills and experiences – and recognizes that when you do better, we become even better too.
Who we are
The Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) works at the centre of the province’s power system, ensuring Ontarians have access to reliable and cost-effective electricity when and where they need it. We operate the province’s electricity grid 24/7, design, run and oversee the wholesale electricity markets, and plan and prepare to meet Ontario’s electricity needs – now and into the future.
The role of Legal Counsel provides a high level of professional legal service to the Market Assessment and Compliance Division (MACD) of the IESO. Legal Counsel is responsible for providing legal advice and assisting with a variety of complex, significant and multi- disciplinary legal projects arising across the MACD. In addition, Legal Counsel provides strategic research and analysis, to facilitate policy and strategy development while ensuring legal compliance and limiting risk exposure.
Legal Counsel reports directly to the Senior Manager - Senior Counsel and may, on occasion, be accountable to other more senior Counsel within MACD.
Please note that we are open to considering candidates with varying levels of experience. If your qualifications and experience exceed what is being asked in this posting, you are invited to apply to the Senior Legal Counsel opportunity. Compensation will be commensurate with legal experience and other factors.
What you'll be doing
- Supporting the operations of the MACD by providing legal research, analysis and other support on a full range of legal matters including:
- Compliance and enforcement matters generally
- Support for investigations, audits and other enforcement matters
- Policy development
- Communication of enforcement policy decisions and other guidance
- Legal interpretation of market rules and manuals.
- Provides specific legal research on compliance, policy and other issues. Anticipates issues and estimates risks strategically.
- Identifies proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks. Works with other MACD groups and other IESO business units on compliance and other matters.
What you need to succeed
- A member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
- A minimum of 1 - 4 years post call experience in corporate, litigation or regulatory law gained either in a law firm or in-house law department setting
- Experience to the greatest extent possible in administrative law.
- Superlative legal research and drafting skills
- Ability to work autonomously as well as with a team, demonstrating excellent communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Investigation experience an asset
- Experience in electricity or energy law an asset
What’s in it for you
- A comprehensive total rewards program, including best-in-class benefits and a flexible workplace
- A challenging, fast-paced and collaborative team environment, where your perspectives and experiences matter
- Leaders who support your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching
- The opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry
Deadline: February 29, 2024
For future reference, please ensure to save a copy of the job description as it will no longer be available once the posting closes.
At the IESO, we know that achieving great results depends on embracing diversity by attracting, developing and retaining people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do this by ensuring our recruitment and advancement policies are fair and equitable, and by creating an accessible and inclusive environment – one that values every team member’s unique skills and experiences and ensures they have the support they need to achieve their potential. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know.
We thank you for your interest in a career at the IESO, but we will only contact those candidates selected for an interview.
Note: The successful candidate must be eligible to work in Canada and will be subject to a background check.
The IESO offers a hybrid work model program to most of our employees, based on business needs. Individuals participating in the program can work an average of three days per week remotely within Ontario. It also offers three flex weeks when individuals can work remotely within Ontario . When working in the office, you will be located at our Toronto location.
Join our talent community
Sign up for talent community; stay in touch, find out about new opportunities – and discover how you can make a difference. Discover how we use our expertise and commitment to deliver reliable and affordable electricity to Ontario’s businesses and communities, and how we’re innovating to secure a stronger energy future for all Ontarians. Visit Careers at IESO and be sure to follow us on LinkedIn.
Find out why we were selected as Greater Toronto’s Top 2024 Employers, and what we offer.