Lead Software Developer
City : HALIFAX, Nova Scotia, Canada
Category : Technology | Analytics | Research
Industry : Financial/Banking
Employer : RBC
What is the opportunity?
Global Functions Technology (GFT) helps RBC functions & businesses achieve business objectives through app development & technology support. We’re also the center of excellence for employee social collaboration & mobile apps, and also build apps that support managing the risk of the bank. We’re building a team that embraces innovation and enthusiasm to bring a fresh perspective. We’ve been on journeys to build out high performing, highly resilient technology platforms that can grow with the continuous demands from Group Risk, Human Resources, Chief Administrative Office & Audit, Capital Markets, P&CB and Wealth.
We’re looking for talented and passionate technologists to join our team. With a developer mind-set you will work as part of an agile team to deliver high performing applications built on cloud platforms with streaming technologies. We believe in continuous growth and expanding your capabilities. Join our team today and have a big impact influencing the strength of our advanced insight and analytics. This team is involved in several project scopes, so there are a variety of projects to get involved in!
What will you do?
- Lead, Develop and support highly scalable, high performance components within an Agile development team
- Ensure high code quality through automated unit and functional testing
- Automate processes within the development pipeline; identify opportunities for efficiency gains and reducing time-to-market, and enabling continuous delivery
- Contribute in application design and develop code structures to promote reusability across many applications
- Be open-minded and look beyond your stack to solve complex problems
- Proactively seek out knowledge about new technologies and how they can be used to solve current and foreseeable challenges
- Communicate effectively with peers and distil technical details into human terms
What do you need to succeed?
- Professional software development experience (Minimum 8+ years) with Java, J2EE, Spring / REST / Microservices, Linux and NoSQL/SQL databases.
- Experience developing secure server side services leveraging the following APIs: Spring, Spring Batch/Boot, RESTful Webservices, Apache Data Utilities (JSON, Avro, CSV/PSV, Parquet), NoSQL/SQL databases and Struts 2.0
- Good knowledge on messaging/streaming technologies (MQ, Kafka)
- Hands-on experience in writing clean, readable/reusable java code with unit tests
- Experience using Git and Maven while collaborating with the software development team
- Ability to independently handle module deliveries, multi-task effectively and provide timely updates
Nice To Have:
- Experience with Big Data (Hadoop / Spark)
- Experience with building Cloud-ready microservices and containerizing applications
- Experience with Agile software development
- Experience with DevOps , CD/CI tools- Jenkins, GitHub, Automated Testing tools, or similar tools
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, progressive thinking to keep growing, and working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients thrive and communities prosper. We care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities, and achieving success that is mutual.
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, commissions, and stock where applicable
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- A world-class training program in financial services
- Flexible work/life balance options
- Opportunities to do challenging work
Job SkillsActive Learning, Agile Methodology, Apache Hadoop, Application Integrations, Big Data, Debugging, Detail-Oriented, Enterprise Application Delivery, GitHub, Java, Java Enterprise Edition, Maven, Microservices Architecture, NoSQL, Problem Solving, Programming Languages, Software Code Quality, Software Development, Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), Teamwork, Unit Testing
Additional Job Details
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
At RBC, we embrace diversity and inclusion for innovation and growth. We are committed to building inclusive teams and an equitable workplace for our employees to bring their true selves to work. We are taking actions to tackle issues of inequity and systemic bias to support our diverse talent, clients and communities.
We also strive to provide an accessible candidate experience for our prospective employees with different abilities. Please let us know if you need any accommodations during the recruitment process.
Join our Talent Community
Stay in-the-know about great career opportunities at RBC. Sign up and get customized info on our latest jobs, career tips and Recruitment events that matter to you.
Expand your limits and create a new future together at RBC. Find out how we use our passion and drive to enhance the well-being of our clients and communities at jobs.rbc.com.