Intermediate Structural Engineer
City : CALGARY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Intermediate Structural Engineer - ( 230003Y6 )
Stantec Buildings is on a mission to become the world’s leading integrated design practice. Our architects, engineers, interior designers, sustainability specialists, and technologists are passionate about the power of design. We take an innovative, collaborative approach to projects, sharing a common belief that sustainable design for the built environment can make the world a better place for future generations. Join us and design your place with Stantec.
The Calgary office has a vibrant and dynamic environment with excellent opportunities for professional growth. We are a multidiscipline team working across Alberta in multiple sectors for a variety of clients. Our projects vary in size ranging from small commercial developments to light industrial, government, community, and private sector facilities.
The successful candidate for this Intermediate Level Structural Engineer – Buildings position will provide technical expertise in structural buildings systems, support of and proactive involvement in ongoing business development initiatives, and aid in further enhancement of Structural Engineering practice within our Buildings Engineering team.
We are involved in a wide range of projects of various complexity in multiple sectors including major research laboratories and healthcare facilities, advanced educational projects and infrastructure projects yet also undertake small and medium sized rehabilitation, renovation, commercial development, light industrial and structural assessment work. Within the larger Stantec design community the range of opportunity and challenge is significant and broad. You will work with senior buildings colleagues providing your design expertise to the team with a focus on supporting the growth of the Structural Engineering and Buildings Architecture and Engineering practice with intention to increase our market share.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Overseeing structural construction, reviewing the installation and assembly of structural elements, ensuring adherence to design specifications, collaborating with contractors and structural team members to address structural challenges and resolve technical issues on-site.
- Liaise with owners, architects, engineering disciplines, and other project stakeholders to determine project objectives. Relay objectives to project team. Ensure project objectives are met.
- Prepare and coordinate structural engineering designs from conceptual design, through tender into construction.
- Prepare and oversee design calculations, technical specifications, and engineering drawings for concrete, steel, masonry and wood building structures.
- Apply professional seal to construction documents and engineering reports.
- Monitor and take professional responsibility for design completed by structural team members.
- Ensure Stantec’s Quality Assurance and Quality Control (QA/QC) procedures are followed during project planning and execution.
- Assist Project Managers in developing project budgets, work plans, and schedules.
- Assist in the coordination of project design activities and the preparation of engineering work schedules a part of an overall integrated team.
- Coordinate design work with project team members, other disciplines, and other offices as required by project size. Support Construction Administration personnel.
- Coach junior staff members both informally and through formal presentations.
- Participate in overall Stantec Buildings business development activities.
- Develop and maintain a network of clients, both internal and external to Stantec.
- Work with the Buildings Practice management team in developing tools and techniques for the execution of daily duties.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products and excellent understanding and experience with structural finite element engineering design software such as ETABS, SAP 2000, SAFE, RISA, and RAM. Revit and Bluebeam experience/knowledge is highly desirable.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in Canada is required; P.Eng. registration in Alberta would be required in a short period.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a multidiscipline group.
- Strong leadership, time management, project management, communication and team building skills.
- Detailed knowledge of Project Management fundamentals.
- Highly organized, able to prioritize multiple tasks, and demonstrate flexible approach to work assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changes in technology and to integrate new technologies into daily work processes.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Structural Engineering from a recognized University. A Master’s degree is considered a strong asset.
- Professional Engineer in good standing with APEGA.
- 4 years of post-graduation experience in a structural design and business development environment. You possess a thorough understanding of building structures design and project delivery types.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Qualified candidates who are highly motivated and eager to commit to Stantec's strategic initiative to become a Top 10 global design firm should submit their resume and cover letter online at www.stantec.com/careers .
Committed to the principles of Employment Equity, we thank all candidates; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. Join us and redefine your personal best. #DesignYourPlace
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Organization : BC-1153 Buildings-CA Alberta
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Oct 2, 2023, 7:11:36 AM
Req ID: 230003Y6
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans