Intermediate Structural Engineer
City : Markham
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Intermediate Structural Engineer - ( 230003Q0 )
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
An opportunity exists in our Waterloo, ON or Markham, ON office for an Intermediate Structural Engineer to become part of a dynamic structural engineering team providing professional services to our Energy Sector clients. You can play a pivotal role in a diverse range of structural engineering projects, from initial planning through design and construction.
The successful candidate will be a skilled problem solver with strong attention to detail and an excellent communicator to provide structural design, coaching of staff, and management of projects either as part of a project team or independently, and could support strategic growth objectives through proactive business development and diversification of services.
Your Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities include the design of structural systems for industrial, commercial, institutional, public and private facilities, specifically:
- Preparing engineering designs from conceptual and detailed design through to tender and construction documents
- Planning and designing concrete, steel and masonry building structures of differing complexity
- Managing multiple projects and working on a variety of small to large projects
- Preparation of design calculations and specifications for projects
- Producing sketches and providing engineering support and input to drafting team
- Coordinating project with client and other disciplines in a multidisciplinary design team, and other offices, with a “team player” approach to design and problem solving
- Preparing schedules, estimates and proposals
- Supervising and coordinating the activity of other junior engineers and project team members were required
- Working to and meeting project schedules and budgets
- Fostering client relationships and ensuring that client needs are met to result in repeat business
- Contributing technically to the team, and providing training and coaching or mentoring to other junior staff
- Completing construction review services including field reviews and co-ordination, shop drawing and submittal review
- Review and issuance of change orders, clarifications and RFI responses
Your Capabilities and Credentials
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Thorough understanding of the design of industrial structures
- Extensive knowledge of NBC, OBC and all other relevant codes and standards
- Previous experience with engineering software applications such as SFRAME, STAAD, RISA and other tools
- Strong leadership qualities, time management, project management, team building, verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills are required for you to meet the demands of this position
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multidiscipline team
- Experience in construction review, proposal preparation and report presentation is required
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products
- Experience in design of cranes and machine supports design, as well as environmental structures design will be considered an asset
- Well-established relationships within the local industrial and manufacturing sectors along with business development skills to develop new business will be considered an asset
- Project management experience would be considered an asset
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and Revit fundamentals and processes is considered an asset
- Green Technology knowledge or LEED certified professional is an asset
- Ability to communicate in French is considered an asset.
Education and Experience
- A university degree in civil engineering with a structural concentration
- Registration as a Professional Engineer within the Province of Ontario
- Minimum 8 years of post-graduation engineering experience in the design of various buildings structures, foundations, high voltage sub-station structures and other energy structures
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #FeelingEnergized
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Other Locations : Canada-Ontario-Markham
Organization : BC-1265 Energy-CA Central
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Sep 12, 2023, 8:23:59 AM
Req ID: 230003Q0
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans