Intermediate Landscape Architect
City : OTTAWA
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Intermediate Landscape Architect - ( 220001CS )
Through design, we empower communities and help realize their potential. Our landscape architects create inspired spaces that reflect context and user needs along with our commitment to sustainability. We take a collaborative approach to design and believe that the best solutions are the product of diverse perspectives.
Stantec Planning and Landscape Architecture Group is seeking an Intermediate Landscape Architect to join our Ottawa team and assist on projects. Our location in the National Capital Region provides unique opportunities to work on projects of local, provincial, and national significance for private and public clients.
We design urban parks and plazas, transportation corridors, waterfronts and mixed-use developments that enhance our communities. Our experienced inter-disciplinary team specializes in parks and open spaces, urban public spaces, multiuse pathways, roadway enhancements, commercial and residential developments, wetland creation, habitat enhancements, watercourse restoration, urban forestry, and Low Impact Development. We connect the people, places, and resources that take a project from concept to reality.
Your Key Responsibilities
You will work with general supervision and direction on a variety of projects, ranging in size from urban in-fill projects to subdivision plans, as a team member of a larger project under the guidance of Senior Landscape Architects and Designers.
You will establish general landscape requirements; conduct site studies and assess site potentials to meet client’s needs. As part of our team, you will collaborate with skilled professionals on projects ranging from initial planning to decommission.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Conceptualize, design, and document landscape architectural designs.
- Prepare design documents including reports, drawings, and construction specifications for assigned projects. The candidate should have authority to sign and seal drawings and other contractual documents.
- Serve as technical design expert for projects and work with other team members to develop and execute design.
- Communicate effectively with clients to resolve technical project issues. Present and explain reports and designs, and provide service to meet client’s goals.
- Coordinate with other members of the design team to finalize the design of the development.
- Effectively communicate with contractors to implement plan design.
- Conduct site investigations and construction inspections including pre-design investigations.
- Prepare proposals.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
Through demonstrated experience on landscape architecture projects, you have honed your planning and design development skills on urban space, commercial, residential, roadway and green space projects.
Capabilities and credentials include but are not limited to:
- Significant technical knowledge recognizing when problems are developing and initiating appropriate corrective actions using sound professional judgment, creativity, and innovation.
- Familiarity with federal, provincial, and municipal approval process and standards.
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation of designs and construction documents including specifications.
- Plant identification knowledge for pre-design and construction site reviews required.
- Proficient in relevant drafting/design software such as AutoCAD, SketchUp, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Adobe Acrobat with experience working with 3D rendering software an asset (Sketch-up, 3D Max).
- Demonstrated industry practice knowledge and commitment to excellence in customer service.
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Positive team-oriented attitude.
- Self-motivated and passionate about design and environmental stewardship.
- Skills and ability to work closely with others as a team as well as independently.
- Strong time management and critical thinking.
- Strong problem-solving abilities along with a commitment to thrive in a proactive organization where client service is priority one.
- Local and regional travel is expected, and the successful applicant shall supply his or her own vehicle.
- Proficient in English or French. Bilingualism is an advantage.
Education and Experience
Applicants should have a full membership with the Ontario Association of Landscape Architects (OALA) or Association des architectes paysagistes du Québec (AAPQ). Applicants should demonstrate a minimum of 5 to 10 years of experience as a Landscape Architect and have a degree in Landscape Architecture or similar relevant certification.
While we currently find ourselves in the midst of a pandemic, Stantec is prepared with the infrastructure available to support individuals working from home. This position will have a flexible working arrangement combining working from home and weekly in office presence. This position will also require some field work to local and regional project sites; field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
Please include the following additional required application materials:
- A cover letter in PDF format indicating your background, interests, and goals in the field of landscape architecture, and any other relevant information you believe will help us make an informed decision regarding your selection to the internship program
- Two letters of recommendation in PDF format from individuals related to the field of landscape architecture and design
- Design Portfolio in PDF format (10Mb max.)
Application packages will be reviewed based upon creativity, critical thinking, and design communication skills.
All required application materials must be submitted by the end of April 2022.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Ottawa
Job : Landscape Architect
Organization : BC-1604 Community Development-CA Ottawa ON
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 25 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Apr 6, 2022, 1:33:49 PM
Req ID: 220001CS
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans