High Voltage Cable Engineer
City : Winnipeg
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
High Voltage Cable Engineer - ( 2300012O )
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Stantec is looking for a High Voltage Cable Engineer to join our team in the Winnipeg- Potage office. This position can be located out of any of Stantec's south or central Ontario offices. It is open to remote options outside of the Winnipeg or Ontario regions.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Perform feasibility studies including preliminary cable design calculations.
- Prepare preliminary cable installation design drawings.
- Preparing cable specifications for the design, manufacturing, testing, delivery, and installation of high voltage ac and dc underground and submarine cables.
- Reviewing and evaluating bid documents.
- Reviewing cable test plans as well as witnessing and reviewing factory/site cable testing.
- Reviewing cable installation plans and witnessing cable system installation activities.
- Participate in technical and industry trade organizations.
- Participate in Business Development activities to grow Stantec’s cable business.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Experience in the specification, design, manufacturing, testing and installation of high voltage AC and DC submarine and land cables.
- Knowledge of cable jointing (both factory and field).
- Knowledge of submarine cable protection techniques.
- Experience in calculating cable ampacities and thermal effects on cable ratings/design.
- Familiar with cable installation techniques for both land and submarine cable.
- Familiar with cable monitoring systems such as DTS, DAS, RTTR.
- Knowledgeable on cable fault locating and repair operations.
- Familiarity with international cable standards
- Knowledge of marine survey requirements for cable installation
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Electrical Engineering. Licensed Professional Engineer preferred
- Minimum of 3-7 years of experience in the engineering of high voltage ac and dc power cables from 25 kV up to 600 kV.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada
Other Locations : Canada-Manitoba-Winnipeg
Organization : BC-1265 Energy-CA Central
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Mar 8, 2023, 10:07:05 AM
Req ID: 2300012O
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans