Health and Safety Specialist
City : Downsview
Category : Other
Industry : Food/Packaging
Employer : Maple Leaf Foods
The Opportunity:As part of Maple Leaf Food’s Operations team, the successful candidate will be responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of the Company’s Occupational Health & Safety (OHS) programs, policies, systems and reports for the Cartwright and Lepage Plants. This position will ensure legislative and Plant compliance with occupational health and safety by “on the floor” involvement with operations. This position will include but not limited to; assisting in the development of safe work procedures, training, claims management and assessing/controlling risk to reduce/eliminate accidents/incidents which cause personal injury and/or property damage. The goal of this position will be to standardize safe work methods and recognize high impact behaviours to achieve a world class health and safety program. The successful candidate will be involved in all Health & Safety activities related to the Cappola plants.
Snapshot of a Day-in-the-Life:
- Assist in the reduction of Health and Safety risks and hazards.
- Ensure Pre-Start Health and Safety Reviews (PSRs) are properly completed including written reports on the construction, addition or installation of a new equipment, structure, protective element or process, or modifications to an existing apparatus, structure, protective element or process; such reports are to detail the measures (steps, actions or engineering controls) necessary to bring the construction, addition, installation or modification into compliance with the applicable regulations.
- Develops and constructs Job Safety Analysis (JSA) and Safe Work Procedures (SWP) identifying the basic job steps and tasks and their associated hazards and risks and develops safe operating procedures and hazard controls.
- Maintain OHS metrics and documentation with the ability to present this information to applicable parties
- Design and deliver training programs for workers, management and Safety Committee members to comply with legislative requirements and improve Health, Safety, Emergency and Security.
- Review and monitor on-site Contractor OHS programs and compliance with applicable regulations.
- Personally, respond to all serious accidents to ensure that proper investigation and follow up is completed.
- Ensure records and documentation are kept protecting Company interests
- Responding to emergencies after hours
What You’ll Bring:
- Superior knowledge of machine guarding and lock out tag out of manufacturing equipment
- Previous experience working supporting a large client group.
- Previous experience working with regulatory bodies such as the Ministry of Labour or Ministry of the Environment would be an asset
- Proven ability to able to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment within specified time frames
- Ability to support and influence multiple levels of management within an organization
- Experience effectively managing WSIB claims
- Knowledge of compliance and regulatory training of all personnel working onsite
- Meeting regulatory filing and reporting requirements (OHS related)
- Reinforce company Values
- Maintain positive relations with employees, management & external enforcement agencies
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organization and analytical Skills. Very detail orientated with proven project management skills.
- 5-8 years of experience in progressively responsible H&S roles
- Strong knowledge of business and plant processes
- Computer skills - desktop applications, Health & Safety and HR applications
- The ability to build relationships and credibility, to be in a position to influence others
- Ability to design and evaluate effective training programs
- Strong knowledge and experience in all aspects of Occupational Health & Safety and Security
- Able to develop and implement Job Hazard Analysis program
- Able to identify and integrate into safe work methods high impact behaviours, and develops and applies leading indicator measurements
What We Offer at Maple Leaf Foods:
- Being part of a high-performance, people-focused company that has an inspiring and unique vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, and a deep commitment to sustainable protein across North America.
- An inclusive company culture and a work environment that keeps our people safe, rewards excellence, and empowers everyone to learn and contribute their best.
- A hybrid work model that embraces remote work for eligible roles, helping team members achieve work-life balance—combining the best of both spending time working remotely, benefitting from focus time, and purposeful collaboration in the office setting.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that offer flexibility to meet your individual or family needs, including programs focused on improving mental health and wellbeing. These benefits start on your first day of employment.
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan with company matching that starts on your first day of employment.
- Learning and development opportunities, including workshops, ‘speaker series’ events, and resources that allow you to develop your skills and progress your career.
- Comprehensive tuition reimbursement program that supports continuous learning and development of our team members through investment in eligible degrees, diplomas, professional certification, or trades programs.
- Supporting our deep commitment to community impact, we offer up to two paid days annually to volunteer at a cause of your choice.
About Us:We’re a carbon neutral food company on a purposeful journey to Raise the Good in Food through better nutrition, safer food and workplaces, more humane animal care, and environmental sustainability efforts that protect our planet. We care about our communities and commit to reducing food insecurity in Canada. Join us on the journey. Let’s build a better future, together.
We’re passionate about food. For more than 100 years, we’ve made delicious, healthy protein that Canadians love under iconic national and regional brands, like Maple Leaf®, Schneiders®, and Greenfield Natural Meat Co.® We’re on a journey to become the most sustainable protein company – not just in Canada – but on earth.
- We are carbon neutral.
- We are one of the only food companies in Canada to set science-based targets.
- We aim to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025.
A diverse and inclusive work environmentChampioning diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision and living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values. We believe in building, investing in, recognizing, and rewarding remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity, and commit to including every voice in our collaborative environment. We’re so much stronger when we know we’re accepted and valued for who we are and what we each bring to the workplace.
We embrace a strong, values-based cultureOur eight Leadership Values are our north star. They guide the decisions we make for all our stakeholders: our consumers, our customers, our people, our communities, our shareholders, and the environment.
- Doing What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.