Geotechnical Engineer in Training
City : CALGARY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Geotechnical Engineer in Training - ( 220003TJ )
Build the foundation for a lasting and successful career in geotechnical engineering by starting with a great team. When we say that we’re full-service, we mean it. You’ll find us in the office, on site and in the lab. We work indoors and out, above and below ground, over and under water, across projects large and small. From field exploration and laboratory testing to the design and construction management of complex geotechnical structures, our team does work that’s rock solid. Join our team today!
As a Geotechnical Engineer in Training, you will have the opportunity to work on engineering and geotechnical projects including major infrastructure projects in a multi-discipline team environment. Working in our Calgary, Alberta office where many of Stantec’s design projects take place, in this role the candidate will have the opportunity to exercise their technical and interpersonal skills while growing in their career.
Geotechnical Engineers in Training typically start their careers with a focus on field work to develop technical understanding of soil and rock mechanics. With experience, field programs will become more complex, and you will take on additional responsibilities to support programs through project coordination and management, and by completing geotechnical engineering analysis and design. With a large geotechnical team spread across Western Canada, you will have the support of senior staff with extensive industry experience.
Your Key Responsibilities
- You will work with a team of engineers and technologists/technicians performing general geotechnical responsibilities.
- Perform geotechnical field investigations with support by senior staff, with tasks including obtaining permitting, field schedule coordination, and subcontractor coordination and supervision.
- Assist in development of scoping, budgeting, and scheduling for proposals.
- Compile field observation and sampling data.
- Assist in preparation of geotechnical reports and analyses including slope stability, trenchless crossings, shallow and deep foundation design.
- Work on projects across a variety of sectors including transportation infrastructure; civil infrastructure; industrial, buildings, and land development; energy and renewables; dams; and mining.
- Work alongside internal engineering design teams and provide support for multiple phases of project life cycles.
- Scheduling, scoping, budgeting, and coordinating with subcontractors.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- The successful candidate will demonstrate initiative, excel under minimal supervision, and be comfortable in a fast-paced environment.
- Valid Alberta Driver’s License; must be willing to provide a driver’s abstract for review.
- Currently registered or eligible to be registered as an Engineer in Training with APEGA.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Civil/Geotechnical/Mining Engineering from a recognized university with direct exposure to Geotechnical course work.
- Previous geotechnical experience is considered beneficial and can consist of co-op terms in geotechnical engineering, experience as an Engineer in Training in geotechnical engineering, or experience in geotechnical related work (i.e., site investigations, design of deep and shallow foundations, slope stability, materials testing, and on-site review of construction activities, etc.).
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Organization : BC-1233 EnvSvcs-CA GeoTech West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 50 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Apr 6, 2023, 1:02:58 PM
Req ID: 220003TJ
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans