Geological / Geotechnical Drilling Rig Monitor
City : CALGARY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Geological / Geotechnical Drilling Rig Monitor - ( 2300002N )
At our core, we’re a community. Together, we exercise creative thought, developing engineering and designs as individual as the people and projects we touch. From approval and permitting to design and construction management services, we put the goals of our clients and their communities at the center of everything we create. Join us as we assist mining companies in getting mined materials to communities around the globe.
Stantec is currently searching for Geotechnical Drilling Monitors on a full-time rotation in the field, reporting out of the Calgary office. This position will work independently in the field with support from their Project Manager.
- This is a field position requiring 14/14 fly-in/fly-out rotation
- Shifts will be 12 hours (day/night), plus travel between camp and site
- Flights provided from Calgary and Edmonton only
Your Key Responsibilities
- Monitoring Sonic/Mud Rotary/Dual Rotary drilling rigs
- Performing geotechnical testing and installations – Slope Inclinometers (SI), Vibrating Wire Piezometers (VWP)
- Performing detailed borehole logging in accordance with project specifications in conjunction with the Unified Soil Classification System (USCS) and project facies charts
- Ensuring all borehole requirements are achieved as per Borehole Information and Installation Sheet (BIIS)
- Obtaining soil samples at required sampling intervals while monitoring and recording SPT results.
- Monitoring the collection of warm core and Shelby Tubes from target depths
- Transporting collected samples/warm core/Shelby Tubes to appropriate drop-off locations
- Driving in an active mine and interacting with heavy equipment
Minimum Experience and Education
- 3 years of experience with Sonic/Mud Rotary/Dual Rotary drilling rigs
- 3 years of experience in Oil Sands geology and northern Alberta glacial geology
- 3 years of experience with geotechnical testing and installations
- 1 year of experience in mine driving
- Bachelor’s degree or technology diploma in Geology or Geotechnical Engineering, or equivalent experienced
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft office suite
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License with current Driver’s Abstract
- Standard First Aid Level C with AED, CSTS, and H2S Alive.
- Pre-access drug and alcohol testing and criminal background check.
- Additional qualification requirements depending on the project.
- This position has minimum physical requirements as outlined in the Stantec Field Physical Demands Assessment. A fit for duty assessment is required prior to deployment in the field and is a condition of employment. Additional physical demands may be required and will be defined in the Project Specific HSE plans.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #FeelingEnergized
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Organization : BC-1695 Mining-Canada
Employee Status : Temporary
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 100 % of the Time
Schedule : Part-time
Job Posting : Jan 9, 2023, 3:16:43 PM
Req ID: 2300002N
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans