Energy Management Specialist
City : Mississauga, ON, CA
Category : Skilled Trade and Facility Maintenance
Industry : Government/Public Services
Employer : City of Mississauga
Req ID: 23142
Vacancy Type: Permanent
Number of Positions: 1
Closing Date: 03/28/2023
Reporting to Supervisor Utilities within Energy Management section, the successful candidate will be responsible for analysing utility consumption data, preparing utility budget forecasts and quarterly projections, database management, implementing energy efficiency projects and measures, collaborating with other sections within Facilities and Property Management to identify, implement and promote energy efficiency at City of Mississauga.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Test, analyze and maintain software programs and applications in support of achieving business requirements.
- Analyze large volumes utility data using statistical analysis methods, interpret the results and report on insights and energy performance.
- Monitor energy consumption of City facilities and interprets energy reports from energy monitoring software.
- Investigate utility bills irregularities and coordinate with end users and utility providers to resolve all bills discrepancies.
- Communicate with facility operations staff regarding unusual increases in their facilities' energy consumption trends and works as a team to investigate and determine proper solutions to reduce energy consumption to expected levels.
- Determine energy conservation opportunities in the City’s facilities to reduce the City’s energy consumption and utility spending budget.
- Evaluate capital replacement projects and recommend energy efficiency technology vs. like for like replacement
- Communicate with energy conservation grant providers including preparing grant applications and reports, monitor and follow grant agreement conditions to the final stages including payment
- Review drawings and specifications for new capital projects for energy efficient design and attend related meetings as section representative
- Determine environmental impact of energy efficiency projects in terms of impact on greenhouse gas (GHG) reductions
- Evaluate new technologies and renewable energy projects such as district energy systems, wind power generation, cogeneration, solar water heating, solar lighting, LED lighting, green roofs, etc.
- Prepare detailed comprehensive business case studies and environmental impact reports to support new technology projects
- Develop and implementing energy awareness programs. Communicate group achievements in order to raise energy conservation profile and gather participation of the stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Post-secondary diploma/degree in engineering, technology, or related field; or any combination of education and experience deemed equivalent. CEM, CMVP and LEED designations are an asset.
- Experience with fault-detection and diagnostics software and/or energy analytics platforms is highly preferred.
- Experience with analyzing large datasets and developing energy models is highly preferred.
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years of progressive experience in energy and utility management is highly preferred.
- Experience with utilities (electricity, gas and water) bills management and utility budget forecast is required.
- Thorough understanding of energy sources, electricity and natural gas markets, utility billing as well as rate structures and conservation strategies.
- Knowledge of building automation systems and control strategies, refrigeration systems, renewable energy applications, water conservation practices etc.
- Knowledge of energy legislation and Green Building Standards including LEED.
- Ability to read and interpret drawings and have strong problem solving skills.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be committed to working in a team based environment with focus on continuous improvement and providing quality customer service.
- Expert MS Excel skills are required and relational database management skills (SQL) are highly preferred.
- Experience and knowledge in Objective Oriented Programming (i.e. VBA, Python, C++, Java) are preferred.
- Knowledge of energy efficiency related grant programs and incentives from utilities and various levels of government including application procedures and grant agreements are considered an asset.
- Must have the ability to travel within the City and provide own transportation.
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 73,350.00 - $ 97,802.00
Hours of Work: 35
Work Location: 950 Burnhamthorpe Rd W
Department/Division/Section: CPS/Corporate Services Dept , CPS/Facil & Property Mgmt Div , Energy Mgt & Facilities Mntce
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can also check your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.