Emergency Management Lead
City : Canada
Category : EMCI-Emergency Planning
Industry : Civil and Social Organizations
Employer : Canadian Red Cross
Title: Emergency Management Lead
Employee Working Location: In-person (Montréal or Québec City office, Québec)
Employment status: Temporary full time ( 06 months )
Salary band: $33.09 / hour
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC) – one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet and an awardee on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022 – is seeking an Emergency Management Lead to join its team.
We are guided by our Fundamental Principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons who share our values and want to contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace to apply.
The incumbent will play an instrumental role in the planning and delivery of emergency preparedness activities. They will also be responsible for maintaining the knowledge and skills of the volunteer teams under their supervision. Through their leadership and professionalism, they will support the engagement and motivation of the volunteer workforce, while maintaining operational capacity to meet CRC’s established criteria and objectives. The incumbent will also represent the organization with various partners, such as municipalities and agencies. They will be required to participate in medium to large-scale emergency responses.
In this role, you will:
- Support sourcing, onboarding, and engagement of volunteers under their supervision in accordance with the CRC volunteer management structure.
- Facilitate the integration of the emergency response workforce in the planning of activities and responses.
- Develop the teams’ independence through collaboration with volunteers to implement and apply the standards and procedures regarding response activities.
- Identify where the operational capacities of the teams under your supervision should be improved and implement an action plan to meet the identified needs.
- Support the development, planning, and organization of preparedness activities in various formats (virtual, simulation, etc.).
- Follow up on administrative activities and the quality-of-service delivery with the teams under your supervision.
- Produce activity reports on the accomplishments of the volunteer teams.
- Represent the CRC with various partners to build and maintain relevant relationships with community organizations.
- Take part in emergency responses in Québec and Canada as needed.
- Assume temporary roles and responsibilities during emergency responses.
- Be on-call alternating with other team members.
What we are looking for:
- A college diploma in recreation, ambulance, police services, social sciences and humanities, or the equivalent.
- 1 to 3 years of experience in committee facilitation and volunteer management.
- Relevant work experience in emergency management and response is an asset.
- Strong spoken and written communication skills in English and French.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite programs.
- The ability to write activity reports.
- A valid driver’s license.
- The ability to deploy to disaster response operations.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work under pressure in ever-changing circumstances; flexible availability is required.
- Positive, unifying, and engaging leadership.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong time management and prioritization skills.
- This position is based in one of the CRC offices in the province of Québec, either in Montréal or Québec City.
- The incumbent may have to work non-traditional hours during on-call periods, emergency responses and deployments.
- Travel within the province and occasional domestic travel are part of the regular duties of the position.
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- If you are selected for this role, you will be required to complete a successful pre-employment screening process which includes a satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check (EPIC).
- At this time, the CRC has temporarily suspended our Covid-19 vaccination policy and does not require but continues to strongly encourage full vaccination of all our personnel. While no longer a requirement for CRC personnel to carry out in-person activities, vaccination continues to be one of the most effective tools to protect oneself against COVID-19 and we strongly encourage full vaccination of all our personnel.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible - those who apply after the selection process has started may be held for a second review if needed OR reviewed for alternative roles. We appreciate the time and effort it takes to apply and thank you in advance.
If you require accommodation measures during the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.