City : CAN - ON - Hamilton Branch
Category : CHW-Transportation
Industry : Civil and Social Organizations
Employer : Canadian Red Cross
Location: Hamilton Branch, Ontario, Canada
Employment Status: Permanent Part Time
Salary Band: $15.00 - $20.10 /hour
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC), an iconic brand and one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet, is seeking Drivers to join our Hamilton team.
You have a passion for helping others, and want to work with other dedicated individuals? By applying, you are taking a big first step to be part of an exciting organization.
At the Canadian Red Cross, we are guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience. Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons to apply, particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people, and people with diverse gender identities and sexual orientations, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
The Canadian Red Cross is looking for Drivers for the Community Health & Wellness-Transportation programs in Hamilton & Ancaster, ON. The incumbent will be responsible for providing Transportation to eligible clients to medical appointments, social outings, compassionate visits, shopping and day programs.
In this role, you will:
- Operate the vehicle safely and reports any vehicle and /or radio maintenance concerns/problems/needs to the Program Coordinator.
- Conduct daily safety checks on vehicle(s) in accordance with Pre-Trip Inspection guidelines and requirements and ensures the exterior and interior of vehicles are clean and presentable to clients and the public (clear vehicle of ice and snow as required).
- Monitor and report any vehicle inventory supplies that should be replenished, such as First Aid kit, gloves etc., as outlined in the Pre-Trip Inspection requirements.
- Report any maintenance /repairs that may occur during the workday and may be required to take vehicle to scheduled repairs and maintenance appointments.
- Observe routine practices when working with clients and others. Follow all procedures in reporting and documenting any incidents, accidents and/or injuries.
- Report any observed or potential occupational health and safety hazards for workers or clients to Program Coordinator or designate. Adhere to implemented strategies to support social justice and diversity in accordance with CRC policies and procedures.
- Provide assistant to clients to onboard/de-board the vehicle including those clients with mobility devices (example: pushing/maneuvering wheelchairs, folding walkers and safely stowing during trip as needed and ay be required to lift heavy equipment or supplies up to 40lbs).
What we are looking for:
- High school diploma is the minimum education requirement.
- Must posses and maintain a valid Province of Ontario, Class ‘G” Driver’s License with no more than three demerit points
- Minimum of two years’ driving experience
- Previous experience with driving commercial vehicles, cube/cargo vans and working with seniors/elderly population are considered as assets.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties and able to work in adverse weather and road conditions (outlined in working conditions below).
- Ability to deal courteously with clients, public and staff.
- Ability to work independently.
- Good reading and writing comprehension.
- This position requires a successful Canadian criminal record check, reference checks, satisfactory three-year Driver’s Abstract, Vulnerable Sector Check, and First Aid certification (training required).
- The nature of this job is such that the incumbent faces daily pressures and stresses of driving in the Burlington region in a variety of weather and road conditions (e.g. traffic congestion).
- Changes related to assigned client rides, working hours and work location are frequently made on short notice. The incumbent is required to be flexible in working non-traditional hours and in accepting changes to their work schedule and location. Regular hours of work will not exceed 20 hours per week.
- Incumbents are required to work with individuals of differing cognitive and physical abilities.
- Physical demands required:
- Ability to lift equipment weighing up to 50lbs (e.g. wheelchairs) is required on a regular basis.
- Movement requiring frequent bending and strength.
- Ability to clear snow off top and around extended size van requiring reaching overhead.
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground)
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.