City : Banff
Category : Kitchen
Industry : Charitable and Non-profit
Employer : Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity aims to inspire everyone who attends our campus – artists, leaders, and thinkers – to unleash their creative potential.
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity acknowledges, with deep respect and gratitude, our home on the side of Sacred Buffalo Guardian Mountain. In the spirit of respect and truth, we honour and acknowledge the Banff area, known as “Minhrpa” (translated in Stoney Nakoda as “the waterfalls”) and the Treaty 7 territory and oral practices of the Îyârhe Nakoda (Stoney Nakoda) – comprised of the Bearspaw, Chiniki, and Wesley First Nations – as well as the Tsuut’ina First Nation and the Blackfoot Confederacy comprised of the Siksika, Piikani, Kainai. We acknowledge that this territory is home to the Shuswap Nations, Ktunaxa Nations, and Metis Nation of Alberta, Region 3. We acknowledge all Nations who live, work, and play, help us steward this land, and honour and celebrate this place.
The Kitchen at Banff Centre is looking for hard-working and energetic full-time Stewards to work behind the scenes in our various dining facilities. A team-player with a positive attitude, our dishwashers ensure the adequate supply of clean trays, dishes, and utensils in the service areas and dining rooms.
Reporting to the Chief Steward, below are some key accountabilities:
- Fill and drain the dishwasher during the shift
- Sort dirty dishes, cutlery, glassware by type and load into the machine
- Prepare pots and pans for loading into dishwasher
- Unload clean dishes and kitchenware and store in designated areas in the kitchen and servery areas
- Follow a weekly schedule of cleaning, soaking, and polishing duties as determined by the Chief Steward
- Clean, polish and prepare banquet equipment for special events
- Clean dishwasher after each meal period by emptying water tanks, discarding all garbage collected in the tanks, spraying any residue of the inside of the machine and polishing the outside of the machine including the unloading end of the dishwasher
- Clean walls, ceilings and floors in the dish-room and garbage room, including garbage bins according to daily and weekly cleaning schedule.
- Keep the hallway adjacent to the dish-room and food lift clean
- Spray and clean carts/cabinets when required
- Ensure garbage cans are hosed and soaped when necessary
- Clean and organize dish-room shelves and kitchen shelves where the inserts are kept
Qualification and Educational Requirements
- Previous dish-washing experience both washing by hand and with a commercial dishwasher
- Able to lift and carry up to 30 pounds
- Able to communicate and take directions in English
- Due to the nature of the job, this position requires the candidate to be available to work a flexible, irregular schedule and weekends.
Employment Terms & Benefits
- In accordance with CUPE 4318, this is a unionized, hourly support staff position, subject to a 500 hour probationary period.
- This position pays $16.31 per hour working up to 40 hours per week on a rotating schedule.
- Benefits of working at Banff Centre are:
- Staff housing options (based on availability)
- Professional development
- Staff cafeteria and restaurant discounts
- Onsite fitness facility at a discounted rate + first month free for new staff!
- We are accepting applications for the Dishwasher (Steward) positions until suitable candidates have been found.
- Candidates offered a position with Banff Centre, in this capacity, will be required to obtain a criminal record check verifying a clear record before a final job offer can be finalized.
- Visa Requirements: Candidates must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Banff Centre is unable to assist candidates in obtaining Canadian work authorization.
All Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity Employees are encouraged to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.