City : Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Category : Full-Time
Industry : Construction - Office
Employer : Mattamy Homes
Mattamy Homes Canada
Director, Construction Operations
When it comes to forward-thinking homebuilding and thoughtfully planned communities, Canadians think of Mattamy Homes. And that success is centred on a foundation of great people, because our team is as solid as they come. At Mattamy, we are optimistic, hardworking and supportive. Together we learn and grow as we strive to create a positive impact in the homebuilding industry. Contributing to the Mattamy Way means being surrounded by caring people who encourage you to be exactly who you are. It means your opinion is invited and your contributions count. And it means a career filled with pride, knowing you’re part of an environmentally-conscious, action-oriented organization with big plans for the future. The opportunity to bring the future of living to homeowners based on what Canadians value is exciting – and we’re making it happen.
Learn more about what makes working at Mattamy special and our award-winning culture.
What we offer
As the Construction Manager, you oversee and manage the construction of houses in multiple communities within the Division. You are accountable for the construction schedules and timely integration of construction trades, material, documentation, and staffing. You will meet customer commitments to deliver defect-free homes on time and within budget and deliver The Best Homeowner Experience in all activities undertaken, inspire, develop and manage the people associated with these schedules and integration processes.
What you’ll do
- Responsible for the execution of our health and safety program including:
- Ensuring a safe work environment – trade compliance, safe work practices on site, etc.
- Legislative compliance – e.g. OHS, MSDS, WHMIS.
- Monitor and evaluate the progress of construction and seasonal construction programs through regular review with Site Managers. Respond to any issues that arise and provide guidance to ensure these are resolved and Mattamy’s standards are maintained.
- Responsible for the creation, adoption and refinement of operating standards and procedures.
- Ensure that homes are built to requirements and specifications established by construction drawings, Design Centre changes options and upgrades, building codes, and Mattamy’s standards.
- Through the Site Manager, responsible for the measurement and evaluation of quality control with respect to materials and workmanship through the regular review and monitoring of results. Implement corrective measures or improvements as appropriate.
- Monitor production schedules, critical paths for projects, and cost control to ensure that homes are completed on time, within budget and meet our quality standards.
- Accountable for ensuring that resources are appropriately allocated and utilized.
- Ensure overall appearance and livability of our communities is maintained while under construction.
- Oversee the maintenance of adequate staffing at Community sites to ensure timely construction of homes. Includes overseeing the hiring, evaluation and discipline of staff as necessary.
- Act as Construction Department liaison with other Mattamy departments and maintain a strong focus toward continuous improvement.
- Foster communication between Community sites and Head Office. Provide direction and support to staff to facilitate the completion of work as per the Production Schedule and in accordance with Mattamy’s standards and procedures. Attend daily, weekly and monthly meetings with staff and senior management to facilitate the flow of information between all parties to ensure the timely completion of construction projects.
- Develop and maintain strong, productive supplier and trade contractor relationships. Communicate company’s quality and performance standards to each trade contractor and supplier. Conduct periodic work inspections to ensure that those standards are met and participate in trade orientations.
- Keep Director of Construction Operations informed of each project’s current progress and review project’s outlook with Site Manager.
- Responsible for training and mentoring new and existing site staff.
What you bring
- Post-secondary education in Architecture, Business or related field, or suitable combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 10 years of residential construction experience at a senior level
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong leadership and people management skills, including the ability to motivate and mentor staff
- Skills in building relationships with a broad network of contacts through the industry an asset
- Flexibility in hours of work required
- Highly developed organizational skills and time-management ability
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel)
We encourage applicants who meet most of the role requirements to hit that submit button and apply! It’s okay if you don’t have 100% of the requirements. If you’re the right candidate, we’ll help you learn and grow.
Who we are
Mattamy Homes is the largest privately owned homebuilder in North America, with 40-plus years of history across Canada and the United States. Every year, Mattamy helps more than 8,000 families realize their dream of home ownership. In Canada, our communities stretch across the Greater Toronto Area as well as in Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton.
Be yourself. We want it that way.
At Mattamy, we're passionate about creating and promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can do their best work. Diversity and inclusion are important to the work we do to support our homebuyers, colleagues, and communities. From how we build our teams to cultivating our leaders, we're on a journey toward a welcoming, barrier-free culture for everyone.
Mattamy Homes Canada is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation through any aspects of the selection process, please notify us on your application and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Qualified applicants will be contacted directly by the Talent Acquisition team.