City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Admin
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Full Time
Hours: Monday – Friday, 35 hours/week
Home Campus: Fennell
Salary Range: $66,908 - $83,635
Posting Date: February 12th, 2024
Closing Date: February 23rd, 2024 at 7:00 pm EST
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. We are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive (EDI) environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk College. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
The primary role of the Communications Coordinator is to support the day-to-day work of the communications team with an emphasis on creating effective communications and messaging that advance the college’s strategic goals and enhances its reputation both internally and externally.
The coordinator will play a key role in drafting scripts and speaking notes for use by members of the Mohawk Executive Group or their designates at special events, speaking engagements and announcements. The coordinator will also assist the preparation of letters, emails and other correspondence from the college or any member of the executive team.
Under the guidance of the Director of Communications and Special Events and working in close partnership with the Communications and Special Events teams, the incumbent will assist with developing and executing communication plans, including the preparation of FAQ documents, web and social media content.
The incumbent will also monitor incoming requests for communications support and work with the Digital Content and Communications Coordinator to oversee the scheduling of email announcements and postings through MyMohawk, MyCanvas and other internal and external communications channels, as well as prepare content for the weekly employee newsletter Mohawk this Week.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Works in conjunction with other members of the Communications team to create effective communications that advance the college’s strategic goals and enhance its reputation both internally and externally.
- Provides support to the Director of Communications and Special Events to draft letters, and other correspondence for the Mohawk Executive Group.
- Provides communications support for crisis communications and issues management, including drafting internal and external communications.
- Assists with developing and executing communication plans for college initiatives, including the preparation of FAQ documents, key messages, web and social media content.
- Ensures all communications materials produced comply align with the college’s vision, values and strategic plan.
- Reviews messaging and content from other departments to ensure alignment with college’s strategic plan and operational goals.
- Conducts research on best practices within the sector and makes recommendations for adjustments to communications strategies and practices.
- Monitors the success of communications campaigns and strategies and provides reports to the Director of Communication & Special Events.
- Works with the Digital Content and Communications Coordinator to monitor incoming requests for communications support through Announcements and coordinates the scheduling of internal announcements through all related channels.
- Produces stories and content for the weekly employee newsletter Mohawk this Week and Inside Mohawk internal communications site.
- Coordinates media visits working with the Director of Communications and Special Events and/or Senior Communications and Media Relations Advisor.
- Provides communications support to other areas of the college as directed by the Director of Communications and Special Events.
Provides support to the Special Events team by:
- Working with the Manager of Special Events and Special Event Coordinators to prepare draft scripts and remarks for members of the Mohawk Executive Group or their designates to use at special events.
- Drafting invites and other event related communications materials.
- Maintains an archive of all scripts and remarks prepared by the Communications team.
Other duties as required
The successful candidate will have:
- A minimum of a 3-year degree/diploma in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or related field.
- A minimum of 3 years prior experience; experience in postsecondary education or a large, complex organization an asset.
- Experience working with senior leadership teams an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with staff at all levels.
- Experience in creating compelling communications pieces for a wide variety of audiences using multiple communication vehicles.
- Proficiency in converting written content into various formats
- Ability to work independently and exercise good judgement and decision making.
- Proven ability to work to deadlines while managing multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with constantly shifting priorities.
- Ability to work individually on a project or in a collaborative/team environment.
- Ability to use web editors and email tools such as Press Page, MyMohawk and Envoke Mail;
- Ability to use common office tools including MS Teams, Zoom, Office 365, Word and PowerPoint.
- Some experience with Adobe Photoshop would be asset.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong research skills
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively inter-culturally with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca/