Chef de Partie
City : Toronto
Category : Full-time Hourly
Industry : Food and Beverage
Employer : Metro Toronto Convention Centre (MTCC)
Full - Time as per the LiUNA Local 506 Collective Bargaining Agreement
Labourers’ International Union of North America (LiUNA), Local 506
A multi-award winning facility, the Metro Toronto Convention Centre (MTCC) has earned a solid reputation as North America’s leading Convention Centre, and has held over 18,000 events and hosted over 55 million guests since opening for business in October 1984. Covering over 2 million square feet, the MTCC is Canada’s largest convention facility, boasting seven exhibit halls, two large capacity ballrooms, and a beautiful 1,232 seat theatre among its many assets. It also houses 70 fully furnished meeting rooms, and 167,000 square feet of beautifully decorated pre-function spaces.
The MTCC is conveniently connected to Toronto’s Union Station railway and transit station through the Skywalk and is also accessible via the city’s underground PATH system.
MTCC is a Crown Corporation of the Province of Ontario and is proudly governed and led by an executive management team and an independent board of directors comprised of senior private sector business leaders. The mandate of the company is to position the Centre as a world-class destination, while helping to generate economic benefit to the community and at the same time remaining financially self-sufficient.
The Metro Toronto Convention Centre prides itself on its professionalism, responsiveness, and dedication to making every event it hosts memorable for its customers and guests alike.
The Metro Toronto Convention Centre's Culinary department is currently recruiting for full time Chef de Partie. This position reports to the Sous Chef/ culinary leadership team.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Functional knowledge of all kitchen areas including classic working stations coupled with fine operational skills in preparation and execution of modern cuisine
- Assists with social parties, banquets, and special events
- Supervise the kitchen and assumes responsibility in the absence of the Sous Chef
- Maintains and assists inventory control procedures by reviewing the menus and requisitioning food and supplies
- Ensures that all sanitation procedures are in compliance with local and Provincial Health Department regulations and company standards
- Play an active role in developing, coaching, mentoring and leading a high-performance team
- Ensures kitchen equipment is in working order, meets Health & Safety standards and report deficiencies
- Assist in maintaining standard recipes to ensure costs of products are in line
- Completed apprenticeship or equivalent
- Provincial Red Seal certificate or equivalent
- Food Handlers Certificate
- 2-3 Years in a high volume hotel/ convention center kitchen
- Ability to work nights and weekends
- Strong leadership skills. Ability to supervise a unionized team
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Outstanding customer service skills with a can-do attitude
- Openly embraces feedback for improvement, allowing us to continuously grow and strive for excellence
- Highly effective communication skills – in all circumstances and situations – highly effective in dealing with our internal/external clients
- Candidates must have their own safety shoes
- This is a position requiring flexibility and shift work, including days, evenings, and weekends. Candidates are required to have their own safety shoes.
As per the LiUNA Local 506 Collective Agreement, in order to maintain full-time status, once you have worked for a full calendar year, you will be required to have worked a minimum of 1,200 hours for that calendar year, and each subsequent calendar year, in order to maintain full-time status.
For a behind the scenes look at how our team helps our customers create successful events, visit our Instagram page:
Interested applicants are asked to apply to the Human Resources Department no later than:
August 25, 2023
Please note: The Metro Toronto Convention Centre is proud to provide employment accommodation during the recruitment process. During any stage of the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request accommodation.