Building Science Engineer
City : CALGARY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Building Science Engineer - ( 230002K4 )
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
Stantec’s Carbon Impact Team is a nationally integrated community of practice of collaborative design and consulting professionals. We provide professional consulting in support of innovative, high-performance projects, including building performance simulation, integrated design and green building facilitation, and design guidance for new buildings and retrofit projects.
We work with a diverse group of clients and project types in health care, education, institutional, airport, commercial, and community development sectors in support of projects seeking high performance outcomes and/or certification. These include net-zero energy, carbon neutral, Passive House, LEED, Fitwel and WELL.
The Building Science Engineer role will primarily involve design and field review for new building projects but may also involve providing assistance with thermal analysis and bridging calculations to meet project objectives including Step Code and Passive House requirements. Your role will include reviewing the implementation of work on site as well as assisting with the development, analysis and review of design and construction documentation. This work will focus on assessing and determining solutions to assist our clients in ensuring excellent building enclosure and façade performance on a variety of building types.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Participation as part of the Building Performance team from concept design to the implementation stages of new and some existing building projects
- Participation in new building projects by reviewing and analyzing building enclosure and energy performance aspects during early stage design, construction documents stage and field review, including field testing, plant reviews and other submittal reviews
- Review documentation, including architectural, structural. and mechanical drawings to determine original construction detailing and identify area of risk for water penetration, air leakage, and/or condensation, as well as energy efficiency.
- Review manufacturer’s shop drawings for conformance with the project intent, performance requirements, and specifications.
- Research building materials when considering alternative/new materials requested by the project team, or materials considered for specific, non-typical conditions.
- Prepare written reports fully documenting design recommendations.
- Attend regular site meeting with owner(s), architects, contractors, developers, product manufactures, and any other relevant parties to discuss progress.
- Review construction for conformance to contract documents and overall design intent and prepare site visit reports.
- Review and analyze “mock-ups” of various details and assemblies.
- Undertake field testing for air tightness, water penetration performance, and material compatibility and adhesion.
- Prepare, review, and analyze site visit reports, documenting observations and field-testing results. Provide recommendations for deficiency items, including field sketches.
- Perform Building Envelope Commissioning as an integral part of the Cx team to engage with the owner and design team early in the design process, helping to establish a clear set of envelope objectives into the Owner Project Requirements (OPRs) and the initial groundwork for the project.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Technical knowledge of building enclosure design, renovation, and construction principles
- BECx credential preferred or interest in attaining credential
- Good understanding of building science, heat transfer, and thermodynamics fundamentals
- Experience in Therm 6.3, WUFI
- Strong interest in energy efficiency and sustainable building design
- Experience with heat transfer and whole building energy modelling software, as well as Passive House standard and PHHP modelling will be assets
- Familiarity with construction drawings and specifications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and presents in a professional manner
- Excellent computer skills (i.e., Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, etc.)
- Excellent attention to detail and organization skills
- Excellent ability to communicate with clients, trades, colleagues, project managers, and management
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing is required.
- Valid 5 Class driver’s license
- Able to qualify for security clearance
- Willing to work at heights, including climbing ladders and working on swing stage
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in building science, engineering, or architecture; or equivalent training, with a focus on building science. Minimum of 5 years of experience.
- P.Eng. or professional accreditation is preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta
Organization : BC-1153 Buildings-CA Alberta
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jun 20, 2023, 11:30:09 AM
Req ID: 230002K4
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans