City : Guelph
Category : Part-time Hourly
Industry : Patient Support Services
Employer : Homewood Health Inc.
Make a difference in a growing, innovative mental health organization and centre of excellence in people-centered care. Work with supportive colleagues who are passionate about improving lives and champions for quality and continuous learning.
As an Assistant Cook, you will be an integral part of a collaborative team focused on delivering seamless food service to our clients and customers. If you are looking for a company that is constantly moving forward in pursuit of successful outcomes, get ready to love it here!
This position is part time working up to 24 hours per week
Internal applications for this position within the UFCW bargaining unit must be received within 7 days of being posted to have seniority considered.
What you’ll be doing:
- Prepare texture adaptation of recipe items and cooking of menu items
- Prepare any items for special menu or/and allergies under the supervision of the cook
- Prepare food for staff cafeteria under the supervision of the cook
- Take cooking temperatures and record on the production sheets under the supervision of the cook
- Prepare food for catering as directed by the cook
- The assistant cook will help the cooks in all his/her duties. They will also manage the protein thawing and will assist the production supervisor in inventory and ordering control of proteins.
- Make raw food items such as breaded products, stuffed products, vegetable balls, various burgers and ball shaped products and other products as needed for the menu under supervision of the cook and/ or production supervisor
- Assist with organizing and managing the space in the freezers
- The assistant cook will replace the cook during the cook’s absences of any type
What we’re looking for:
- Participation in an apprenticeship program or proof of a minimum of 4000 hours of culinary experience under a Red Seal chef will be deemed to be an equivalent
- In either case the applicant must be able to challenge the red seal exam within 2 years, or already possess the Red Seal certification
- Manual dexterity with the ability to stand for long periods of time
- Capability to cut with a knife for periods of up to an hour at a time
- Ability to lift, push, pull baking sheets weighing up to 10 kg in and out of ovens and moving carts
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills
- Proven attendance record
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our patients, staff and community from COVID-19, subject to any accommodation required by applicable human rights legislation, Homewood Health Centre requires that all staff have received all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada.
Why work with us
Homewood Health is Canada’s largest and leading service provider for medically focused, evidence-based treatment of mental health and addiction disorders. Our organizational culture values service excellence, integrity, collaboration and innovation. Our people make a difference!
As an equal opportunity employer, Homewood Health is committed to employment accessibility, diversity, equity and inclusion. For this reason, we encourage applications from members of equity-seeking groups including women, racialized and indigenous communities, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
Join us at Homewood Health™ and be part of a diverse team helping Canadians live healthier, more productive and fulfilling lives.