Virtual Leadership Program
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
THRIVE is an entirely new four-month virtual program that will develop the next generation of queer and trans people managers. A total of 35 participants will complete The Humphrey Group’s pioneering Proud to Lead™ program, get exclusive access to queer and trans leaders working at the highest levels of Canadian business and engage in important peer-to-peer discussions. Through live Zoom sessions, virtual learning modules and self-directed work our inaugural THRIVE cohort will collectively unlock their potential as out leaders.
The health and safety of our network is our top priority. Pride at Work Canada’s programming will be entirely digital through 2021. Pride at Work Canada’s annual conference was to take place April 30 and May 1, 2020. In March, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the date was tentatively repositioned to November 2020. THRIVE is the virtual evolution of our programming plan for that landmark event.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
To support a positive learning environment and peer-to-peer learning the inaugural cohort of THRIVE will be limited to 35 participants. The process by which those interested in participating may apply will open on Tuesday, September 29, 2020. The deadline for applications will be October 30, 2020. Those selected for the inaugural cohort will pay a participation fee of $899, due upon acceptance. Applicants who are self-employed, employed by a nonprofit or by a registered charity may indicate their interest in being considered for a scholarship to THRIVE. Those accepted as scholarship participants will be charged no fee for participation.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
The primary goal of THRIVE is to develop and support queer, trans and 2S leaders within medium-to-large Canadian employers. The Humphrey Group’s Proud to Lead™ curriculum focuses on the skills required of out leaders to succeed in business. Those who would get the very most out of this opportunity will fit the following profile:
- Self-identified as queer, trans, 2S or otherwise marginalized on the grounds of gender expression, gender identity and/or sexual orientation
- At least five years of experience in the workplace
- In a position of management or on management track
Additional details and guest speakers to come October 2020.
Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 6:00 – 7:30pm ET
- Introduction of all participants
- Opening Plenary Panel: Out Executives from Scotiabank will engage in a fireside chat, including an open Q&A with participants
- Learning: Introduction of The Humphrey Group’s Proud to Lead™ program
What Does Your Proud Leadership Look Like?
Tuesday, February 9, 2021, 6:00 – 7:30pm ET
- Guest speaker: Emma Lewzey, Founder and Lead Consultant. Blue Sky Philanthropy talks with participants about personal branding
- Discussion: How do the five pillars of the leader’s mindset help build a strong leadership brand?
- Group work: What qualities are part of your brand today and what qualities would you like to incorporate in the future?
Give Voice to Your Leadership
Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 6:00 – 7:30pm ET
- Guest speaker: Paul Taylor, Executive Director, Foodshare Toronto
- Discussion: Connecting brand with communication and underlining the importance of sharing your leadership identity
- Group work: Share the five core beliefs that support your leadership identity
Share Your Story
Tuesday, March 23, 2021, 6:00 – 7:30pm ET
- Guest speaker: Janis Irwin, MLA, Edmonton-Highlands-Norwood, Deputy Opposition Whip, Critic, Status of Women and LGBTQ2S+ Issues in the Alberta Legislature
- Learning: Communicating with presence
- Group work: Share your story and receive feedback from peers
Wednesday, April 7, 2021, 6:00 – 7:30pm ET
- Closing panel: Brett House, Vice-President and Deputy Chief Economist, Scotiabank will moderate a discussion between Gregory John, President of Four Peaks Business Development Inc. and Kai Scott, President of TransFocus Consulting
- Participant roundtable: Reflections on the THRIVE experience
COLIN DRUHAN (he/him)
Pride at Work Canada
BRETT HOUSE (he/him)
Vice-President and Deputy Chief Economist
To support a positive learning experience the number of participants in THRIVE 2021 will be limited. Please provide us with some information about who you are and why you’d like to participate. We’ll use this information to determine a THRIVE 2021 cohort that represents the broad diversity of both the communities we serve and Canadian workplaces.
All submissions are private and confidential, reviewed only by Pride at Work Canada staff. If you would prefer to submit your application via email or other method please let us know by contacting our team at email@example.com. The deadline for applications will be October 30, 2020.
Questions about THRIVE 2021 or any of our upcoming events can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.