(GPCoE) Specialist, Global Product Support Engineering
City : Ottawa
Category : Global Customer Care
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Become a proactive member of Packet Optical Global Product Centre of Excellence. As a product Expert, responsibilities include consultation with the CoE support organization, analyzing customer issues and provide product enhancement and supportability requirements to the CPO (Packet Optical) product development cycle. Enhance the customer experience by advocating for product quality and supportability requirements and provide training for the GCC (Global Customer Care) organization. Provide system and solution level post-sales support for CIENA’s Customer base. This includes testing, troubleshooting, on site and telephone technical support for CIENA products. A strong understanding of the fiber optic transport and/or switching protocols is essential. Proficiency and experience with personal computers, Microsoft office suite of software is needed. Enhanced scope and depth of expertise in data communications protocols including Ethernet and IP networks is required. Experience with UNIX and SUN/Oracle systems is important asset. Experience with Element Management or Network Management systems is expected. This position may also involve on-site day to day interaction with the customer concerning all aspects of network planning, deployment and technical network issues and design.
- Provide expert level technical consultation to the GCC organization when requested.
- Provide input to the Ciena PLC (product Life Cycle) process as a GCC prime as required.
- Connect with Design and manufacturing on problems / issues found in the field.
- Use debug tools as well as lab research to aid Customer’s technical problem. Recover information vital to escalate the incident or issue to Design, Product/Project Management, Documentation, or Training.
- Work with Quality Assurance, Design, Product Management, Technical Publications, and Training to provide Customer feedback.
- Create, review, validate and publish required Method of Procedure (MOP) and Field Service Bulletin (FSB) documents.
- Expand and improve knowledgebase (KCS).
- Mentor, train and advance newly hired Technical Support Engineers.
- Travel to customer sites and Ciena locations globally if required.
- Provide remote technical support (via telephone or on line) for identified CIENA products 24x7 when required. On call duty includes evenings and weekends.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Proficiency with various ‘office’ software applications including Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, and Excel.
- Ability to analyze, trouble-shoot and resolve sophisticated problems.
- Motivated self-starter with excellent time management skills and an ability to work from broad guidelines with minimal direction.
- Strong knowledge understanding of transport and switching systems for telecommunications applications/Systems. Special proficiency in some products or technologies.
- Full grasp of Optical Networking and packet knowledge based on the role.
- Proficient with various types of test equipment for optical and protocol testing.
- System level trouble shooting on fiber optic telecommunications transport and switching equipment.
- Extensive Knowledge of OTN, SONET/SDH/DWDM, Carrier Ethernet with niche knowledge in some products and application of the technology.
- Knowledge of data communications, UNIX SUN/Oracle as well as experience working in an IP network.
- Good abilities to establish relationship and build excellent Customer focus.
- Great teammate that is ready to assist in, or lead, troubleshooting.
- Willing to take ownership for complete problem resolution.
- Ability to take care of stressful situations with colleagues and customers.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively in English language both verbal and written.
- Excellent Customer service skills and the ability to work with customers on both technical and management levels.
- Work in a collaborative environment and promote the sharing of knowledge and experiences.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be punctual and able to accept continuous unusual work hours, typically, at very short notice.
- Bachelor’s degree in technical field (e.g. Engineering, Computer Science) from a four-year college or university with 5 to 10 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Several years of experience in the operation of fiber optic transport and/or switching equipment.
- In depth knowledge and experience with SONET/SDH ring transmission equipment, Carrier Ethernet enterprise equipment and associated fiber optic facilities.
- Experience with OTN technology and its application to Ciena equipment.
- Several years of experience in a technical support role with an equipment vendor in the Telecommunications industry.
- Experience as a technical lead on specific projects or issues
- Problem solving experience.
- Fundamental understanding of Telecommunications industry
- Clear understanding of Technical Support industry and the application within Ciena.
- CE-P (Carrier Ethernet-Professional) certification.
- OC-P (Optical Communications-Professional) certification.
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.