Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Burnaby Pride holds our meetings and events on the unceded and traditional territories of the sḵwx̱wú7mesh and Hul’q’umi’num’ / Halq’eméylem / hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ speaking people. We recognize that this acknowledgement is a tiny piece in the larger context of the ongoing work that must be done to challenge the legacies of colonialism and create palpable disruptive change and true reconciliation.
- Inclusivity: We are committed to creating accessible, respectful spaces for the meaningful engagement of all individuals, and to finding ways to continually improve inclusive actions.
- Diversity: We recognize, acknowledge, and respect the diverse and intersectional experiences of 2SLGBTQIA+ individuals in Burnaby, and work to center these unique voices and experiences in every aspect of our work.
- Community: We believe in the strength of community, and work to support and showcase local individuals, artists, businesses, and organizations.
Our ObjectivesIn hosting a Burnaby Pride we are working to:
- Create a safer space where 2SLGBTQIA+ individuals, youth, and families can foster meaningful connections and strengthen the sense of 2SLGBTQIA+ community in Burnaby;
- Promote 2SLGBTQIA+ visibility and provide opportunities for education, compassion-building, and greater understanding & awareness of ourselves and others;
- Showcase and celebrate the diversity of identities and experiences within the 2SLGBTQIA+ community; and
- Share information regarding community services, resources, and supports for the 2SLGBTQIA+ community in Burnaby and surrounding communities.