WaveLogic Software Designer
City : Ottawa
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
The WaveLogic Software Development team is looking for a candidate with broad Linux and Drivers experience to join our team of embedded software development professionals. Together, we will build the platforms that support convergence of the WaveLogic Photonics, OTN and Ethernet packet layers of the global network.
- Implement cross-platform software and services. This software may span multi-core embedded CPUs, SOCs, 10/100/1000BT Ethernet PHYs, FPGAs, and optics.
- Employ your expertise in the Linux Kernel, SOC development, the TCP/IP stack, Forwarding Tables, IP Filters, VLANs, and memory management.
- Debug system defects, throughput, and performance.
- Design, code and support drivers, diagnostics and/or applications written in C/C++, Bash and Python.
- Implementation of common applications and services across cards with Linux operating system
- Porting of common operating system elements from and to other product families within Ciena.
- Providing expertise to other designers to troubleshoot hardware, software and system defects and performance issues.
- Participation in all aspects of the product lifecycle, from introduction of new hardware and software features to the support of products which are already in the field.
- Documentation and production of the artefacts of the software development process. You must have excellent communication and be familiar with waterfall and Agile methodologies.
Collaboration with stakeholders
- Participate in all stages of software development - requirements analysis, design and prototyping, implementation, testing, and eventually maintenance support.
- At various times, you will be required to work with team members from hardware, software, verification, system engineering, and field support.
Areas of impact
- Influence the software architecture to improve resiliency, debuggability and maintainability.
- Improve software performance through test driven development, automated unit testing, and comprehensive integration testing.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical or computer engineering.
- Experience with embedded Linux and embedded software design and development.
- Hands on experience with the Linux kernel drivers and user space drivers, including TCP/IP stack.
- Experience with BSP, Security, and board bring-up.
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
Ciena is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.