City : Toronto, ON, CA
Category : Other
Industry : Transportation
Employer : Canadian Pacific
Canadian Pacific (CP) and Kansas City Southern (KCS) are now CPKC. As the only truly North American railway, we are making big moves! Drawing on our strong foundations and heritage, CPKC moves essential goods across our 20,000-mile network to support economic growth throughout Canada, the U.S. and Mexico. Be a part of history as we connect a continent and create exciting career opportunities across our new transnational network. Visit cpkcr.com to learn about the CPKC advantage, our purpose and culture.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As the Trainmaster you will deliver efficient movement of traffic within the road territory and yard-terminal by developing, organizing, and executing the daily yard-terminal/road operating plan in a safe and cost effective manner which maximizes fluidity and achieves Local Service Operating Plan (LSOP) and Operating Plan compliance on a daily basis. This includes all processes related to arrival, classification, building, inspecting and dispatching of trains. Leadership accountability for inputs and outputs of safety, service, productivity and financial metrics.
- Ensure the safe and tactical execution of the Operating Plan through active supervision of operating (train) crews, Yardmasters, support staff and Assistant Trainmasters
- Accountable for inputs and outputs of safety, service, productivity, financial metrics and adherence to corporate values, which includes compliance with regulatory environment
- Accountable for the safe, on time operations of all trains and contribute to the overall execution of the LSOP and Operating Plan
- Conduct efficiency tests, train rides and safety related activities to support a safe, efficient operation
- Accountable to investigate safety rules and policy failures and respond and act on safety, health and environmental related incidents, identify cause, implement or recommend corrective actions or action plans
- Participate and assist with safety and business plan roll-outs across the region
- Identify and act on opportunities to increase yard/road fluidity and productivity
- Create and manage a strong team of employees including determination of optimal numbers, recruitment and development
- Ensure compliance to CP’s policies and collective agreements and recommend changes
- Ensure the delivery of optimal results against appropriate performance and financial metrics through maximum asset utilization
- Accountable for holding investigations (accident or discipline) in accordance with labor agreements, policies, etc.
- Accountable for inventory management for terminals and line of road in their areas of responsibility
- Accountable for rail cars that are idle for 24 hours or longer for any reason
- Accountable for full understanding of business requirements, service commitments and any service penalty conditions for customers in their geographic area
- May be required to attend derailments/incidents/injuries when on duty
- May be assigned Train & Engine employees to mentor and coach.
- Must possess a High School diploma or GED
- Must have previous railway experience
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Previous operations related experience would be considered an asset
- Must be able to understand the Operating Plan & Local Service Operating Plan and compliance to it as it pertains to the yard
- Qualified Locomotive Engineer is an asset
- Must become Conductor or Engineer qualified and occasionally operate trains
- Must be or become rules qualified (CROR - Canadian Rail Operating Rules)
- Must maintain certifications and licenses (i.e. Engineer Certification)
- Ability to pin point expectations and provide positive and constructive feedback
- Ability to analyze, understand and resolve local issues related to interpreting variances to operating protocols
- Ability to understand and work with collective agreements and other applicable regulations
- Knowledge of and ability to conduct investigations
- Ability to accept change
- Ability to drill down, understand root cause and resolve complex issues
- Willing to be available as required on a 7x24 basis.
WHAT CPKC HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
- Part-time Studies Program
As an employer with North American presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
Operating safely is a core foundation of CPKC. Our commitment is to protect our people, customers, communities in which we operate, the environment and our assets. We are also committed to a healthy and safe workplace. CPKC’s Alcohol and Drug Policy and Procedures (“Policy and Procedures”) support these commitments. All new hires for a safety citical position will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol, and drug audit assessment. Pre-employment qualification drug test(s) are also required. This includes candidates participating in the Trainee Program who will also be required to pass a drug test during the training process before receiving final qualification for the position.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
- Driver's License Verification
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CPKC. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CPKC is an employment equity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply including women, Black, Indigenous, People of Colour (BIPOC), members of the LGBTQ+ community, and people with disabilities. Accommodations for the job application process can be provided, as appropriate, upon request. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)”.
- Req ID: 101804
- Department: Operations Eastern Division
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Non-Union
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 10-20%
- # of Positions: 1
- Job Grade: 4
- Job Available to: Internal & External