Telecom Engineer – Substation
City : BURNABY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Telecom Engineer - Substation - ( 24000082 )
Join a team that has been partnering with our clients for more than 100 years to improve the quality of life around the world. We operate with the strength of a $7B company paired with the agility of a specialized power and dams group, to deliver some of the most iconic and cutting edge projects around the world. This proud legacy has fostered a culture of innovation and safety, leading our team to design the world’s most impactful power and dam projects vital to both local and global communities.
Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or electric grid modernization, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in power delivery, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Stantec’s Power team in Burnaby BC is currently offering exciting opportunities for Telecom Engineer to work on a variety of high voltage substation projects throughout North America.
Telecom Engineer is responsible for Telecom engineering and design of substation telecommunication systems for high voltage substation projects. They will work within a multi-disciplinary team to develop efficient and reliable substation communication and automation systems.
They will coordinate the planning and design activities to maintain project schedules and ensure successful project completion.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Provide calculation, engineering and design/drawings for telecom projects involving HVE, microwave communication, channel banks, SONET multiplexer, teleprotection, fibre cable entrance, fiber optic networks, C band / Ku band satellite, Tetra/VHF/UHF mobile radio, Power Line Carrier, -48 VDC Power systems, and IP/MPLS networks, etc.
- Prepare Bill of Materials and coordinating staging and testing of equipment racks prior to shipping for installation.
- Prepare test plans and commissioning documents for the evaluation and testing of various telecom equipment.
- Prepare technical specifications for the installation of telecommunication infrastructure.
- Coordinate and support all installation and commissioning activities for the successful implementation of the design infrastructure.
- Coordinate with other disciplines such as Transmission, Distribution, Civil, Electrical, P&C and SCADA to fulfil desired substation and system function.
- Provide study reports outlining alternatives, cost estimates and recommend solutions for various telecommunication requirements.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Excellent computer skills with MS Office; proficiency in AutoCAD and Microstation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of operation and design of substation P&C and SCADA systems.
- Excellent communication skills in the English language, both written and verbal, particularly the ability to write complex technical documents and communicate with complex technical matters to technical and non-technical audience.
- A valid BC Class 5 driver’s license (or equivalent).
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical engineering recognized by universities in Canada with major in Telecommunications for Power Systems.
- 4-6 years of proven direct detailed design experience in Telecom for high voltage substation projects with Utilities in North America (Experience on BC Hydro projects is an asset).
- Professional Engineer registered with the Engineers and Geoscientists BC (EGBC).
Typical office environment working with computers; Stantec offers a flexible work environment (a hybrid model of working in the office and at home). Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #FeelingEnergized
Pay transparency laws require employers to provide the following information for positions that may be in the following jurisdiction(s):
- $88,300 - $128,000 Min/Max Pay Range for postings located in BC
The final agreed upon compensation is based on individual education, qualifications, experience, and work location. At Stantec certain roles are bonus eligible.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Organization : BC-1182 Energy-CA West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 23, 2024, 8:33:42 AM
Req ID: 24000082
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans