City : EDMONTON
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Substation Engineer - ( 230002EW )
Our Edmonton office is looking to fill the role of Substation Engineer, reporting to the Engineering Manager. This position offers you the opportunity to work in a project team environment with other engineers and designers involved in the detailed electrical design and project management of high voltage substation and power projects.
The successful candidate should have experience in the areas of air-insulated substation (GIS is a plus) engineering & design from the 5kV to 500kV levels, as well as an understanding of substation components, development of single line diagrams, substation layout and related electrical studies (clearance, grounding, isolation etc.), rigid bus design, work planning, coordination, reporting, cost estimating.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for developing all aspects of HV substation physical engineering design
- Prepare reports that present technical and project information in a clear and concise manner and meet client requirements
- Preparation of Electrical Physical design packages consisting of One-line, Site Plan, Electrical Plan & Sections, Grounding Plan & Details, Conduit Plan & Details, Control House Plan, Control House Grounding Plan & Details, Lighting Plan, Lightning Protection Plan and Bill of material (BOM)
- Coordinate with designers and engineers of other disciplines to complete deliverables
- Interpret and incorporate vendor information into design deliverables
- Perform QA/QC of electrical engineering design packages
- Provide regular progress updates related to deliverables on project
- Responsible for proposal development and LOE (Level of Effort) analyses
- Working knowledge of substation equipment engineering
- Development of Project Estimates
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong safety mindset
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and develop strong client relationships
- Strong organization skills and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Able to demonstrate solid technical understanding in writing and verbally
- Ability to visualize and evaluate equipment details, phase-to-ground, phase-to-phase clearances, and drawing relationships
- Solid understanding of substation grounding, lightning protection, and illumination studies (strongly preferred)
- Professional level knowledge of industry specifications for high voltage electrical equipment
- Ability to manage and deliver Physical Engineering deliverables as per project schedule and within budget
- Ability to work closely with Drafters, Engineers and Leads to meet with project timelines for engineering deliverables
- Ability to understand client specific requirements (standards & specifications) and applicable codes & regulations for preparing physical electrical packages
- Travel may be required but is not anticipated to be more often than 5 days per month
- Must have a valid drivers license
- Collaborative knowledge of other substation disciplines: Civil, Structural, P&C, Studies
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field with a minimum of 7 years of experience in utility AIS HV substation design.
- Registered with APEGA as a P.Eng. or the ability to obtain a P.Eng.
- Excellent report writing skills
- Proficient with MS Excel, Adobe Acrobat
- Experience with site visits to capture all technical data needed for estimates and execution of related substation expansions
- Experience in MicroStation and/or AutoCAD
- Experience in Grounding Analysis software such as WinIGS and CDEGS is an asset
Typical office environment working with computers; Stantec offers a flexible work environment (a hybrid model of working in the office and at home).
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.The experience will forever shape your future. #FeelingEnergized
We would like to thank all candidates that apply; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Other Locations : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby, Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Organization : BC-1182 Energy-CA West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jun 7, 2023, 11:09:01 AM
Req ID: 230002EW
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans