Specialist, Occupational Hygiene
City : Fort Saskatchewan, AB
Category : Full Time Sustainability
Industry : Mining and Quarrying
Employer : Sherritt
Sherritt is a world leader in the mining and refining of nickel and cobalt – metals essential for the growing adoption of electric vehicles. Sherritt’s Technologies group creates innovative, proprietary solutions for natural resource-based industries around the world to improve environmental performance and increase economic value. Sherritt is also the largest independent energy producer in Cuba.
Across all of our operations, safety is our top priority, and we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture. We offer a work environment where team members are truly valued and have what they need to thrive in their role and make a meaningful impact.
An exciting opportunity exists in our Sustainability division at our Fort Saskatchewan plant site as a Specialist, Occupational Hygiene.
Reporting to the Manager, Safety, the Specialist, Occupational Hygiene position provides technical guidance and direction for the scope of occupational hygiene, and oversee logistics for the completion and delivery of an occupational hygiene strategy for the Corefco and Sherritt Fort Site organizations (“Metals”) that aligns with the overall Metals strategy with a 3 month to 12 month timeframe.
- Develop and implement a 3 to 12 month occupational hygiene strategy that aligns with the direct leaders and Metals overall strategy for the purpose of supporting overall continuous improvement; specific to occupational health and safety.
- Analyze and evaluate information and data from occupational hygiene sampling, Key Performance Indicators, industry data and regulatory requirements for input into an annual review of the occupational hygiene strategy.
- Recommend, develop and maintain standards and procedures that comply with all current in-scope regulatory requirements and industry standards.
- Evaluate the risk to occupational health using professional judgment, statistical treatment of data and accepted occupational hygiene standards and practices.
- Evaluate and propose appropriate control strategies for identified occupational health risks using accepted occupational hygiene standards and practices.
- Provide consultancy and guidance to business units as a technical resource for matters related to occupational hygiene and hazardous materials.
- Design occupational hygiene sampling strategies and oversee the implementation and coordination of technical sampling activities as part of the occupational hygiene strategy, shutdown activities or break-in work.
- Develop technical Hygiene Risk Communications and sampling scopes, including the review and approval of technical reports.
- Occupy the role of Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) and Subject Matter Expert for radiation (including NORM) and maintain compliance of the radiation safety program.
- Provide technical leadership and train more junior advisors.
Qualifications and Skills
- 2-year degree or higher in a related field. In lieu of a degree, 5 years of Occupational Hygiene experience required
- Professional occupational hygiene designation, or eligibility (ROH, CIH, ROHT)
- Experience with oil and gas, minerals/mining, chemical production or manufacturing industry hazards
- Experience with hazardous materials abatement
- Experience with industry partners and other practice related stakeholders
- Experience with occupational hygiene sampling study design and analytical methods for various substances
- Analytical skill set to interpret data into useful business information
- Using descriptive and inferential statistics to understand and interpret mathematical models and simulations (IHSTAT, IH Data Analyst)
- Ability to coordinate and manage contractors
- Leading root cause investigations and chronology
- Auditing occupational hygiene documents and programs
- Ability to administer and organize records and documents (calibration records, analytical reports)
What Sherritt Can Offer You
- Competitive wage with comprehensive benefits and retirement savings programs that holistically support employee wellbeing
- Generous paid time off to support and empower employee work/life balance
- Ongoing learning and professional development opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and dynamic work environment
We thank all candidates for their application. Only qualified candidates will be contacted directly and engaged in the interview process.