Senior Process Engineer
City : CALGARY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Process Engineer - ( 2200017M )
Grow with the best. Join a smart, creative, and inspired team that accomplishes operational excellence. Bringing together individuals with diverse backgrounds, talents, and expertise, our 22,000 team members in over 400 locations worldwide are vital to making our Company stronger.
Every day, we’re problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful. Whether designing a transformational cross-country pipeline, optimizing processing facilities, verifying the safety and reliability of an asset, or in the field overseeing construction projects, you’ll be joining a team of recognized industry experts on work that’s critical to our clients and our communities.
Stantec is seeking Senior Process Engineers having experience in the energy industry with keen interest and transferable skills to work on industrial projects in the areas of oilseeds processing, energy transition, renewable energy, and pulp & paper. This position is for the process engineering group in Calgary.
As the Senior Process Engineer, you will work on a variety of complex projects, independently on smaller scope projects and as a discipline lead and team member on larger projects. You will lead, evaluate, select, specify, and engineer certain processes, methodologies, or products for a project. You will perform a variety of tasks which may include simulations, calculations, and support field work. The projects that a Senior Process Engineer is assigned to may have complex features that will require the application of mature knowledge and both critical and creative thinking. The successful candidate should have experience in the areas of oil and gas, chemical, or industrial process design as well as plant utility design.
Experience should include diverse projects in any of these fields - oil seeds processing, Agri-industrial, biofuels and biogas, and pulp and paper facilities; refinery, mineable oil sands (solids / material handling), gas processing, NGL extraction, carbon capture, hydrogen, and conventional oil & gas.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Engineering design activities for industrial projects of various sizes and complexity. Delegation to Intermediate and Junior Process Engineers may be required, as well as assistance to the same and review of their deliverables. Peer review of deliverables created by other engineers may also be required.
- Serve as process engineer for industrial systems such as but not limited to:
+ Oilseed processing equipment,
+ Fermentation and distillation equipment,
+ Heat transfer and generation equipment such as steam generators, waste heat recovery boilers, steam turbines, deaerators, and condensers,
+ Industrial blowers, fans and other air moving equipment,
+ Odor and/or dust control systems,
+ Grain handling conveyor systems, as well as other equipment such as bulk and liquid storage tanks, hoppers, silos, and bins
+ Fluid handling and pumping systems
- Solids processing equipment including grain cleaners, screeners, rolling and/or crushing mills of various applications, classifiers, dryers, coolers, presses, etc.
- Complete tasks in a timely, thorough, and organized manner. Tasks may include, but are not limited to:
+ Development and review of process simulations/calculations for creation of mass and energy balance.
+ Preparation of studies, performance specifications for process equipment and unit operations.
+ Development and review of engineering drawings such as PFDs and P&IDs.
+ Performing adequacy checks and evaluation of new and/or existing equipment.
+ Sizing calculations for equipment, lines (liquid, slurry, gravity fed, and vacuum), and instrumentation and documentation of calculations performed.
+ PSV sizing, ORA, and equipment overpressure protection design Generation of documents such as heat & material balance tables, line designation tables, PSV lists, cause and effect diagrams, set point lists, car seal lists, operating philosophies, equipment datasheets, and instrumentation datasheets.
+ Collaborate with other process team members, engineering disciplines and construction team, as required to deliver quality products to our clients.
+ Performing fieldwork necessary to gather data, check tie-ins and provide home-office construction support, and commissioning support.
+ Meet all requirements of the Client and Stantec Quality and Safety requirements. Ensure appropriate reference material is always utilized.
+ Client interface – Establish and maintain positive client relationships. Carryout discussion and presentations, as required.
+ Assist in preparation of proposals and estimates for new projects.
+ Authenticate engineering drawings and deliverables, as required.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Experience in industrial processing and/or other processing facilities for oilseed processing, including grain handling, seed preparation, solvent extraction, edible and industrial oil refining, fermentation, distillation and ethanol production, bio-fuels production, biogas processing industrial processing utilities, and steam systems will be beneficial
- Experience in convention oil and gas, refinery, and Oil Sands
- Working knowledge of industry related simulation software
- Wastewater treatment specific to oilseed processing or just generally oily water, and anything dealing with BOD demands in wastewater would be an advantage
- Any design and/or operating experience with chemical consumption and byproduct creation in an oilseeds oil refinery would be beneficial
- Experience designing plant control systems (conceptual) would be considered an advantage
- Experienced with the development, interpretation, and checking of PFDs and P&IDs. Strong ability to read piping isometrics and piping plans.
- Very proficient with process calculations, and excellent proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
- Experience working with electronic markup software, such as Bluebeam Revu, would be an asset.
- Understanding and knowledge of standards and regulations for industrial projects
- Strong analytical skills and good attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies.
- Strong organizational skills for maintaining project files and information received from clients and vendors.
- Basic understanding of task hour estimating and being accountable for personal hour budgets. Must be able to meet the committed project deadlines and dedicate the required time to meet the project schedule.
- Ability to work independently as well as participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with both clients and project team members, with a strong customer service attitude.
- Able to travel regionally, conduct short overnight trips, or other.
- Willingness to go the ‘extra mile’ to support projects, clients and fellow employees.
- Requires superior understanding of Microsoft Office Suite.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree Engineering or equivalent preferably Chemical, Mechanical, or Food Engineering.
- Minimum 12-15 years of experience.
- The candidate must be registered and in good standing as Professional Engineer in any Canadian Province.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Stantec offers a flexible work environment (a hybrid model of working in the office and at home). Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Job : Process Engineer
Organization : BC-1109 Energy-CA Alberta South
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Mar 25, 2022, 4:14:01 PM
Req ID: 2200017M
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans