City : Moncton
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Planner - ( 240000D4 )
Strong communities don’t just happen—they’re built. They’re creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We’re driving the future of Community Development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We’re a place where you can apply your passion—and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable.
As a Senior Urban Designer within our Community Development team based in our Moncton, Halifax, or Charlottetown office, you will have the opportunity to work on projects in the private and public sectors such as redevelopment plans, new community and town center plans, streetscape and infrastructure projects. The role spans a broad range of disciplines and would suit an individual with strong design background in urban, regional, and rural planning and design. Your focus in this role will be ensuring consistent and high-quality deliverables and bringing your subject matter expertise to inform and offer value to our clients. As a 28,000-person interdisciplinary firm, the business and career opportunities within Stantec are extensive. While part of this larger team, your work will primarily be based within a collaborative planning and design team serving our Atlantic Canadian market.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Design/planning tasks: development of preliminary concepts into workable and approvable plans including collaboration with lead designers, engaging with other disciplines, client interaction, design analysis and statistics, proof of concept analysis, and guidance of design rationale across a project team.
- Reporting tasks: writing and contributing to design briefs, reports, and presentations in support of project reviews and approvals.
- Graphic tasks: production of diagrams in support of urban design/planning tasks. Ability to support/prepare 3D views, sketches, renderings and models in design programs such as SketchUp, Lumion, etc. would be considered an asset.
- Support complex and comprehensive planning and development projects, including municipal plan reviews, master planning, development applications, active transportation planning, development appications, redevelopment and neighborhood plans and strategies, and municipal policy projects from a planning and urban design perspective.
- Support business development and marketing initiatives including strategic planning, opportunity identification, proposal pursuit and preparation, client liaison, preparation of on-line marketing content and social media monitoring.
- Maintain and strengthen client relationships and play a key role in client management and satisfaction.
- Interface directly with clients and provide clear, well-articulated and solution-oriented recommendations; and
- Demonstrate active coaching skills when interacting with other team members.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to action and deliver design projects with a high level of independence.
- Comprehensive understanding of planning and urban design principles specifically as it relates to urban, regional, and rural planning and placemaking, climate change and resilience, emerging innovations, and development economics.
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of built form typologies, building structures and requirements, parking, vertical circulation, and general construction methods for mixed-use, residential and commercial uses.
- Strong communication, negotiation, interpersonal and time management skills with the ability to function in a high volume, challenging environment.
- Experience engaging with, and presenting before clients, Planning Advisory and Design Review Committees, and Planning Commissions and Councils.
- Project budgeting, time, and workflow management skills an asset.
- Highly effective in collaborating on multi-discipline teams on complex projects.
- Able to proactively identify potential problems and risks and to develop and articulate potential solutions, explorations and innovations, particularly in client meetings and engagement.
- Highly effective in building and maintaining client relationships.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office.
- Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite, CAD, SketchUp, and other creative applications is considered a asset.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree or equivalent experience in Planning, Urban Design, Architecture, and/or Landscape Architecture with a minimum 10 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers. Some travel throughout Atlantic Canada will be required to attend meetings with clients and carryout projects. May occasionally visit study areas, construction sites and/or be exposed to outside elements and inclement weather conditions.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Pay transparency laws require employers to provide the following information for positions that may be in the following jurisdiction(s):
- $68,900 - $100,000 Min/Max Pay Range for postings located in PEI
The final agreed upon compensation is based on individual education, qualifications, experience, and work location. At Stantec certain roles are bonus eligible.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Nova Scotia-Dartmouth
Other Locations : Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador-St. John's, Canada-Nova Scotia-Halifax, Canada-New Brunswick-Moncton, Canada-Prince Edward Island-Charlottetown
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1604 CommDev-CA Ottawa ON
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 100 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 30, 2024, 1:08:36 PM
Req ID: 240000D4
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans